Something just happened on IBKR.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Leopard9, May 26, 2023.

1. Leopard9

Leopard9

On the 24th I bought 50 speculative shares of SNOW after hours after the drop at 154.46 and unfortunately I didnt sell on the resistance retest. Decided to get out the next day at a loss at 152.16. After that tried another trade and sold again at a loss. Both losses are 280,39. IBKR says my loss was 1461.50 on Daily PnL. Checked my account net liquidity and the entire thing has been debited between the 24th and the 25th.

They sent a FYI on TWS with a justification before my ticket was responded to.

Please help me understand if this is just me or I am being robbed here.

Thanks

2. rb7

rb7

At what price did you buy and sell your second position?

Anyway, even without any more details, I'd say that your calculations are wrong.
    And you probably need to step back and understand trading 101 first.

3. Leopard9

Leopard9

And what makes you believe my calculatuions were wrong? Did you even bother to read the the entire thing and understand it with basic math or you just looked at 50 shares and thought this post was not worth your time?

Entered 147.89 and sold at 144.67 for a loss of 163.07.

I guess you will teach me then the difference between 280.39 and a 1461.50$ debit on your 101 trading.

Thank you

4. It must be your error. You need to go into details on your own. You won't get that explained on support of IB. Interactive Brokers has a solid accountant automated interface for calculation. If they are wrong than many, many thousands of customers would be affected and they would scream all day. But this is not the case. So look yourself what went wrong with your calculation.

5. Leopard9

Leopard9

Oh I know that, I have been their client for years. If you actually bother to understand the complaint please come back. Thank you!

6. Leopard9

Leopard9

My total losses from the day were 1090.69, Net liquidity was lowered by more than double between the two days.

7. TheDawn

TheDawn

Ok did you note what price did you open and close the two positions at from the "Trades" window on IB TWS after you closed the two trades? Whatever the prices shown there would be the prices that you actually opened and closed the positions with. And just like what the "10% Depreciation Notification" window says, you can also check your Activity Statement for the two days that you opened and closed the positions, whatever the prices that you see there would be the prices at which your positions were traded and P/L calculated. Unless you are willing to post a screenshot of your "Trades" window that contains the details of your positions and the Activity Statement, there is not much we can help you here.

If you are still not sure, it's best to check with your broker as they would be the best people to explain everything to you.

rb7 likes this.
  8. I heard/read horror stories about how IB calculates margin requirements... Could be similar...

9. Leopard9

Leopard9

Its not that. This is mixing the day beforeĀ“s close with extracting that same PNL, even when the position was not opened there.

10. Are you looking at realized P&L? If you trade after hours, the unrealized P&L will be calculated at the closing price.

#10     May 26, 2023
    zdreg likes this.