Sometimes, moving threads from other forums to the politics forum is a bad idea.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OddTrader, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Sometimes, subjectively moving threads from other forums to the politics forum, without firstly checking with the OP guys could be a bad idea.

For various many reasons!

Maybe there could be very sound and meaningful purposes by the OP guys of good and kind intentions. By starting these threads with other forums, instead.

Especially, giving chance to the many members who might not even often visit the politics forum.

My suggestion: Let those threads just stay in their original forums such as Chit Chat or Economics, etc.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

To answer the title of this thread, sometimes it's a good idea. Especially when the thread is either very political in nature (even if it includes the word "Economics" in its title), or it quickly becomes very political in its posts — which was the case with your thread. And you even got the ball rolling in the very 2nd post of the thread by displaying a chart about firearm related deaths over a 47yr period being greater than the combined deaths from all U.S. wars. A chart that Gun Control people regularly refer to, but has nothing to do with the title of your thread. On your lead things devolved into politics quickly with comments like:

"Most Americans 80-90%!) support stronger gun laws — laws that would reduce deaths. But Republicans in Congress stand in the way."

"10 career recipients of N.R.A. funding"

" The gun lobby pressure is mounting. Let's hope our leaders won't buckle" (reprinted from the very left-leaning The Guardian by the OP)

"in the USA you are 22 more likely of being killed by guns than any other industrialized nation"

"This stupid "stat" [previous quote] has been proven time and time again to be enormously skewed by INNER CITY BLACK ON BLACK SHOOTINGS."

My suggestion to all is don't start political threads (or threads which you know will soon turn political) outside of the Politics Forum and you won't have to worry about them being moved there.

3. Sometimes, subjectively moving threads from other forums to the politics forum, without firstly checking with the OP guys could be a bad idea.

For various many reasons!

Maybe there could be very sound and meaningful purposes by the OP guys of good and kind intentions. By starting these threads with other forums, instead.

Especially, giving chance to the many members who might not even often visit the politics forum.

My suggestion: Let those threads just stay in their original forums such as Chit Chat or Economics, etc.

4. Many thanks for the friendly and constructive feedback, which is truly helpful indeed!

So long, my friend! :)