Son of Something Very Simplistic

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Quah, Oct 4, 2002.

1. It only took to the 2nd reply.

BTW what vendors offer tick charts?

#11     Oct 5, 2002
  2. MORE

MORE

"This will require constant tick based charts - there are a few package out there that support that - but QCharts is not one of them."

no light for those which us QC (I :( )...

OK and which are the best packages ?

#12     Oct 5, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

Well, I got to admit, this one I have never seen.

LOL

nitro

#13     Oct 5, 2002
  4. zorak

zorak

Quah:

I assume you are using esignal+ensign for svss also?

zorak

#14     Oct 5, 2002
  5. QUAH: your brilliance absolutely amazes me but i have a question. I have not looked at tick charts for over a year but I do remember that when checking the charts against time and sales data , the data vendor I was using was hopelessly missing lots of ticks. Does this data inefficiency make this system of yours flawed or not ?? Again It sounds brilliantly simple but I have an aversion to tick data for the previous reason. thanks.

#15     Oct 6, 2002
  6. Quah

Quah

There are so many trades generated by this method that I don't think the risk and confusion of reversals are worth it.

Why 272? No particular reason other than I've liked using it in the past. I like fib multiples of 8 - 8*34=272. I also noticed some things happened in cycles of 8-272T bars - 8*272=2176.

#16     Oct 6, 2002
  7. Quah

Quah

Well, I've gone full cicrle as far as tick charts go - for the very reason you state. I've given up trying things that depended on a very small number of ticks - but figured I'd try something like this - something using a longer set - and I'll just assume there is no way they will be perfect or repeatable between 2 different vendors or even between two people using the same vendor.

#17     Oct 6, 2002
  8. High number tick charts are, in my opinion, much better than time charts. Why? Because the tick charts will always reflect volume and momentum movements better than time charts. A typical 5 minute candle on a chart doesn't tell us anything about momentum -- we have to figure that out based on time of day and volume.

5000 tick chart will always have equal volume per candle.

The only problem is that esignal only gives you one day's worth of ticks. I need at least a week.

#18     Oct 6, 2002
  9. Quah

Quah

Tick charts in fact *dont* have an equal volume per candle - they have an equal number of trades per candle. Each of those trades can be any size (volume).

Esignal provides the data for more than one day workth of ticks - Ensign will display 5 days worth using an Esignal feed.

#19     Oct 6, 2002
  10. jaholmes

jaholmes

I use RealTick and setting a chart to Trades, Stochastic is not an option for an available study.

Jim

#20     Oct 6, 2002