Stealth Wealth

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trader99, Oct 27, 2020.

1. trader99

trader99

I know this a good problem to have. But just wondering people's thoughts on this.

Suppose, you do well in trading. Then what? I don't like to be showy.

I think the best way is via stealth wealth according to this blogger:

https://www.financialsamurai.com/th...guide-to-staying-invisible-from-society-rage/

I'm even hesitant with family members. As I've written before, I have 3 sources of income: my biz, my trading, and my part-time adjunct faculty position.

I've gotten to the point where a few minutes in the morning of trading makes more than most normal corporate jobs.

I feel like now I'm just using my part-time adjunct faculty position as a cover. So, people think I have a "normal" job and not just sit at home and make a living.

While I derive a lot of intellectual benefits, I'm thinking of quitting that job b/c the economics of it is horrible, students are rude, entitled, nasty, and teaching at nights is tiring. I feel like I should just dump that job and focus on my biz and trading.

Alternatively, I've looked at other institution with better pay and hours so I can satisfy my intellectual needs and still maintain the cover.

I know some family members are even wondering about my arrangements. Because they know that that job pays shit yet I'm still able to maintain a pretty good lifestyle as though I was still working at my old corporate jobs with nice six figures.

I even purposely told them "oh, one of my client finally paid me after months of work! oh so unstable situation!" This puts everyone at ease thinking I'm still struggling financially with my biz. It's not a lie because the cycle of payments from clients can take a while. But they are Corporate 9-5 people, so they don't know that's typical experience of any company.

Eventually, I want to buy another home(probably much nicer that the current one). Then my cover will be blown.

I guess if family finds out then it's ok. But I know some of my siblings are super competititive. Growing up and now, they always want to be ahead and even the slightest sign that I'm slightly ahead they slam me.

How do you live in a stealth wealth fashion? Especially if your trading gets better and better over time. I know it's a good problem to have.

Any ideas?

Or maybe move to a tax haven and escape all this non-sense. hehe

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. gaussian

gaussian

This is the strangest humblebrag I've ever read.

fan27, VPhantom, comagnum and 2 others like this.
  3. Just keep saying you are broke.

"I like your new car"

"Ya well it set me back, i hope i can keep up on the payments its gonna be tight for a while"

"Howd you get this new house?"

"Well all that work at the professor job i was able to save, hopefully I didnt screw myself by quitting after reaching my goal"

Doest really matter, you dont owe them an explanation and Im not gonna drive some shitty car to "hide" stuff. ITs none of their business and if they ask I will pretend im a politician and deny deny - dont care if they had my bank statements. Always say you are broke or make it seem like you are on the brink.

Its called gaslighting and lying - you should have learned that at your "numerous ivy league colleges."

You are worried about "stealth wealth" but say some pretentious bullshit like that - on a forum full of strangers. Makes other things you say suspect. Just my observation.

TimtheEnchanter and trader99 like this.
  4. trader99

trader99

To be honest, it's NOT a humblebrag. I can share this because no one knows who I am online.

This is a serious problem I'm trying to solve. I know one of my siblings is supercompetitive.

She worked her ass off and recently got promoted to VP.

If she knew it's easy for me to make that kind of money things will blow up...

I want to be low-key.

5. trader99

trader99

Thanks for the suggestion. What pretentious bullshiet? They are my siblings. They all know what schools I went to. That's part of the jealousy too. But it's benign. What they are competing for now is $$.

I want to lay low. They are overt people. One of my siblings who recently got promoted to VP want to upgrade her lifestyle and get a ranch home, etc.

She even asked if I want to chip in. I tell her all of my capital is tied up in my small biz. Can't do much.

Personally I think it's a money sink to do what she's trying to do. But she has big ego and will not listen anyways. Better to gaslight and act poor then give wise advice that people will not listen anyways and have them get angry at you.

6. OP how old are u if you don't mind me asking ? Sounds as though you are single.

7. I thought it was clear when I typed it - the pretentious bullshit being your announcement of your numerous "ivy league degrees" on a public internet forum with strangers - it really doesnt contribute to the convo in any meaningful way.

I thought you went to the ivy leagues? These context clues and syntax should be childsplay to someone with such brain capacity as yourself.

Anyway, just be prepared to hear all types of rumors about your financial state when you say these things. People will make up wild claims saying everything you own is on lease or you are close to bankruptcy, etc. The rumors happened to me with all the furniture I had when living on base - come to find out dude was just jealous because I can shuffle money around.

trader99 likes this.
  8. well if you want to lay low then you are the smarter one in your family. You know i once had a personal experience so profound that it didnt matter if i had no money or was homeless....i had enough and all i needed...eg inwardly... i like how you have 3 parts to your wealth accumulation. You are way ahead of many out there. Perhaps you are looking for a 4th or 5th component to hedge risk...one only needs one to take off for 2 to 3 years and you have then made enough wealth to retire on. Best of luck Trader 99.

trader99 likes this.
  9. trader99

trader99

Oh, here we go again! It's not being childish. I was just mentioning that to say that regardless of $$ fromt trading I still need INTELLECTUAL STIMULATION from an academic job(even though it pays shiet). That's all. Don't take it the wrong way. I've had coworkers and even bosses that were so jealous and passed false rumors about my credentials. The low of the low. I could have sue them for defamation and take everything. But they are worth shit and not worth the hassle.

This is why I became an entrepreneur and avoid all this rat race, corporate pettiness, etc. People fight ingand competing and lying and defaming each other to get a small piece of the pie. Pathetic.

From the outside, I look pretty middle class because I don't like cars so no need to drive an expensive one. I don't like designer clothers so no need to buy expensive clothes.

But once COV19 is over then I plan to travel for extended period of time(1month to 3 months). My enjoyment in life.

10. trader99

trader99

I'm not single. I have a family of my own.

#10     Oct 28, 2020