Strategy talk: Option Strategies for a Questionable Downtrend

Discussion in 'Options' started by IVolatility, Apr 25, 2024.

1. IVolatility

IVolatility Sponsor

As I looked for such a situation, I came across Paramount (PARA). The reason I like it here is because it is "in play" and will thus likely hold up in price, even if the overall market continues lower. What's more, there is a deal on the table that could offer much more upside and, at the very least, keep the stock from falling much in the coming weeks.

[​IMG]
    (Source: IVolLive)
    PARA has been a lackluster performer, trading in a range of between 11-17 over the last year. As you can see, though, it has also been relatively immune to the market's overall moves during that time. At present, the company has received a joint bid from Sony Pictures Entertainment (SONY) and Apollo Global for about $26 billion - almost four times the current valuation. But the company's management is already entertaining an offer from Skydance Media for $5 billion, which is lower than its current valuation.

Normally, it would seem like a no-brainer for shareholders to drop the current deal and take the much more generous one from Sony/Apollo. But it's more complicated than that for Paramount, where the Redstone family controls 77% of the voting stock and favors the Skydance deal.

To me, this presents a stock with limited downside risk, potentially significant upside opportunity, and a relatively immune posture to the rest of the market. That spells a covered call, diagonal call spread, or short put strategy.

At Wednesday's closing prices a few of the potential covered call writes using slightly in or out-of-the-money strikes look like this:

[​IMG]
    (Source: IVolLive)

These are the conservative, short-term call writes. Should the Redstones even consider the Sony/Apollo bid, the stock could trade considerably higher. So, a mix of covered writes at higher strikes might be well worth a shot as well.

Got a question or a comment?
    We're welcome your questions or feedback about the option strategies. If there is something you would like us to address, we're always open to your suggestions.

By Richard Lehman, IVolatility.com

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Providing investment advice?