Strength Trading

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Global, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Global

Global

The chart below shows the strongest stocks of S&P 500

500.jpg

This chart shows the long- and the short-term strength of the S&P500 stocks with the strongest momentum.

I use this chart to choose some stocks that show strength.

I then use simple technical analysis - moving averages, candlesticks, Bollinger Bands, support & resistance - to narrow down the possible tradable stocks.

The other thing I'm looking for is the stocks' Relative Strength.

It must be going up and above its 20-day moving average.

The chart of GPS, for example, is:
    0 GPS.jpg

1. Price moves above its rising 20-day moving average - the green box.

2. Price broke above a resistance line - the blue line.

3. Price reached the upper Bollinger Band with a huge bullish candlestick, a sign of a strong uptrend

4. The stock's Relative Strength is going up and mostly above its 20-day moving average - the yellow box.

smallfil, taowave and tomorton like this.
  2. Dazz

Dazz

Nice logic, so when you turn it on and trade for 6 months or so, what happened?

3. smallfil

smallfil

Where did you get the bar chart for the long term and short term strength of the S & P stocks? That looks like an awesome tool.

vanzandt likes this.
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

[​IMG]

5. Dazz

Dazz

wonderful, so when you trade it, what was your track record? How many trades taken? Stops & tgts?

6. taowave

taowave

Canslim without Fundamentals??

Dazz likes this.
  7. Dazz

Dazz

good thinking - maybe - but: there is no rigorous academic research anywhere that proves any investing strategy works. Might as well as be scratch and sniff trading.

8. taowave

taowave

All the really good directional traders I know follow a similar approach..Canslim,Modified Canslim,Momentum....Some apply basic fundamental metrics,some don't....

If you look on AAII website or use Portfolio 123 to backtest you will see that there is merit to growth/momo style investing

Dazz likes this.
  9. Dazz

Dazz

thanks - but their portfolios are too complicated to link to Canslim and back testing but no real time trade stats joins 3000+ other programs other there. I want a live, real time, trading room or investor that uses it at point blank range. Besides, not sure all the floating pics above are as you suggest.

10. taowave

taowave

Those floating pics are not mine.
    Check out Minervinis website..

He certainly appears to be the real deal.His students did pretty well in Zedahs trading comp..

#10     Oct 25, 2020
    Dazz likes this.