Swing Traders: What are your monthly returns?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Smart Money, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Again, if you don’t believe in technical analysis or Bigfoot please find another thread to share your pearls of wisdom.

For the rest of you, I’m curious to know what percentage MONTHLY returns swing traders make on average. Not your best. Not your worst. Give me your typical.

Oh, and do you momentum trade? Catch the turn arounds? Play range bound stocks? Or other?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  2. I started just recently, so I don't have a history yet. My anticipated target is to make >= 30% per month.
    My research indicates, that this should be possible using some equity options strategies (I'm specializing on 2-leg Put options spreads, though other combinations are equally good or even better too, for example those spreads with >2 legs, like long butterfly and long condor etc.).
    This is swing- or short- to midterm trading (holding less than 90 days), not any daytrading.
    I'm using TA only minimally, like SMA crossovers.

3. taowave

taowave

Just starting out??
    30 percent per month??
    Love to know what you are smoking...
    I mean backtesting :)

4. Options... Try it :D
    Of course I mean options spreads where you short sell and additionally buy a long to cap the loss side.

5. taowave

taowave

Lol,I have tried it,and by your standards failed miserably :)

Then again,I'm not trading a 500 dollar Robin Hood account

d08, M.W., BlueWaterSailor and 2 others like this.
  6. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

If you can average 5, 10, 20% per month then you’re doing fine.

My PnL as a long only, momentum trader, is heavily correlated with the SP500.

The goal is to lose less on down days and earn more on updays.

apo99 likes this.
  7. taowave

taowave

60 - 240 percent per is nothing to sneeze at.Are you long the cash or trading options??

8. With this kind of trading, the max possible profit is pre-determined at entry (ie. the net credit), so one should enter only the highest ones... After entry one just can hope that the underlying goes into the right direction, if not then of course a loss will happen.

9. taowave

taowave

Ever watch the movie Goodfellas??

In the words of the late Ray Liotta,

"Youre a Funny Guy"...

d08, zghorner and rb7 like this.
  10. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Cash.

In a bull market, 20% is a good month
    In a bear market, 5% is a good month.

Without betting the farm.