Taking profits early...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Chagi, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Chagi

Chagi

Hopefully this question hasn't been covered already in too much detail, my apologies if it has.

I am currently seeing some success with my trading, i.e. good control of risk, good entries, and ability to increase the scale of my trading to higher quantities of shares. That said, I have identified a key problem area - the tendency to take profits too early. For example, I was trading a stock today with clear selling pressure, and did a number of smaller successful trades, as opposed to holding/scaling up for a longer holding period.

To be more specific, can anyone who has encountered this particular issue share what they did to combat this? I should mention that I have done quite a bit of reading, so I'm hoping for some personal responses. For example, I have now written out a new rule for myself, something along the lines of "wait for clear reason to sell."

Thanks!

2. Have you considered scaling out or covering/selling half as it moves your way?

Waiting for a violation or "clear reason to sell" along with scaling out as it moves along is what I (try to) do.

3. DrEvil

DrEvil

Have you considered that taking picking off several smaller trades from a larger move increases your trading opportunity. Increasing opportunity is another way to grow your account assuming that you have a net positive expectancy.