Tesla uses AMD chips in China

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by VicBee, Nov 27, 2021.

1. VicBee

VicBee

https://electrek.co/2021/11/26/tesla-moves-amd-chip-new-model-y-china/

Tesla has started using a new AMD chip in new Model Y vehicles in China after also moving to AMD in the new Model S.

Automakers have been struggling to secure chip supply and computer power for their vehicles over the last year.

Shortages have led to production halts across the industry.

Tesla has been no exception, but it has fair much better than most as it managed to still grow its production significantly over the same period.

To help alleviate the need for chips, Tesla pivoted to microcontrollers for some subsystems.

But the automaker still needs some good old processing power and graphic cards.

Tesla has always been extremely focused on improving computing power in its vehicles, which people often call “computer on wheels” these days.

Much of the focus has been on its chips for self-driving, which the automaker ended up designing itself, but Tesla also has been updating its chips for its entertainment system (MCU).

At first, Tesla was partnering with Nvidia, then moved to Intel, and it now looks like the automaker might be moving to AMD, a large American semiconductor company.

As we reported this week, Tesla started deliveries of the Model Y Performance produced at Gigafactory Shanghai.

Now that it is in the hands of customers, we learn that Tesla is now using an AMD Ryzen chip for the Model Y Performance’s MCU:

It’s not clear if only the new Model Y Performance is using the AMD chip, but all variants of a Tesla vehicle generally use the same onboard computer.

Interestingly, Tesla also used AMD to power the new entertainment computer in the new refreshed Model S.

In that case, the automaker needed a lot of power since it claims the same computing power as the latest generation gaming consoles.

It looks like AMD is becoming a more important partner for Tesla and it will be interesting to see if more vehicles switch to AMD chips.

thecoder likes this.
  2. thecoder

thecoder

Tesla & AMD, a dream team, IMO :) And also their CEOs (Elon Musk and Lisa Su) are sympathetic and respected personalities.

Btw, some hardcore facts:
    Code:
    Market Cap:
      AMD:  186.95B
      INTC: 198.388B
    (As of last Friday. Source YahooFinance https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMD )

Ie. AMD has reached 94.23 % of the size of INTC ie. 186.95 / 198.388 * 100 = 94.23 %
    In few days/weeks AMD will be more worth than Intel!
    I'm sure AMD and its fans worldwide will celebrate this important event, and also run some partys :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  3. xandman

xandman

x86 chips on a vehicle screams cheap and unreliable.

4. thecoder

thecoder

BS. It depends on programming, ie. the application code written on it.

5. JSOP

JSOP

Don't forget to thank Tesla and United States for supporting China when all of the western nations and companies are diversifying their supply chain providers. Just because Tesla is also making money is not relevant.

And remember this forever even when and if Tesla is withdrawing from China, money and/or plants one day. This is not Tesla being ungrateful. Tesla is not sold to China and it is still entitled to manage its own affairs according to its wishes.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  6. thecoder

thecoder

@JSOP , FYI: if someone demands thank then he does not deserve it :)
    Dunno if that's a Chinese proverb, I guess not, since its by me, a non-Chinese... :)

7. thecoder

thecoder

@JSOP , China thanks the USA for all the sanctions and discriminations, and says that that all by a small minded USA is futile... :)

8. Overnight

Overnight

I suddenly crave Chinese Take-Out

thecoder likes this.
  9. thecoder

thecoder

And I had a spicy Chinese shrimps soup some hours ago. Man I like it! :)

10. VicBee

VicBee

Wtf are you talking about?!? Your rants are getting more and more incoherent and you post them on any thread you can to stir shit.

Thank Tesla and the US for what? The US government is overtly snubbing Tesla while China embraces the company and demonstrating their manufacturing capabilities by producing half a million cars after just 2 years of the factory being built. Now Elon is expanding in China, while the freaking Germans are dicking with him every other day about one thing or another to force him to hire a union labor force.
    You have a logical hole in your head if you think Tesla’s China factory isn't a win win for both Tesla and China. Neither and both need each other, it's an excellent business relationship and yes, you can expect Chinese auto manufacturers to copy Tesla’s factory just like you can expect IGMetal to screw with Tesla until they're in and, once in, to screw with operations and leak processes to other car makers until all produce at the same pace. Just as US car makers will copy Tesla's best in class prod processes and, thankfully, being in TX will help keep the unions out.
    This thread isn't in the political section and I don't need your anti China delusions to pollute every thread that mentions China.

#10     Nov 27, 2021