The economic impact of the current Exodus from the United States.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Apr 3, 2008.

1. .

Black diamond: But can't you start out by comparing Brazil to Australia or Germany?

May 9, 2008

SouthAmerica: Sorry to disappoint you.

You think that I should compare Brazil with Haiti, then move one step up at the time then Somalia, then Congo, then Sudan, then Togo, then Angola, then Albania, then Bulgaria, and so on until I reach the United States.

There is one problem there are only 2 countries that I know really well and they are Brazil and the United States.

I am Brazilian and I have traveled in Brazil all the way to the Amazons area – and I have been living in the United States for many years. These are two countries that I know very well and can compare not only the latest figures but I also know well the history of both countries.

I wrote and published 2 books about Brazilian history and probably know more about US history than many Americans.

Do you know anything about Brazilian history – or your knowledge about Brazil is based on a quick visit and the only other thing that you know about Brazil is that Petrobras and Vale do Rio Doce have been doing well on the stock market.

Your suggestion that I should compare Brazil with Australia, or Germany it is a very silly suggestion for many reasons since there is no basis for such a comparison.

Let me try your suggestion:

Brazil has a population ten times the population of Australia.

Brazil has 5 World Cup soccer titles and Germany has only 3.

Australia has Kangaroos, but we don’t have Kangaroos in Brazil.

Australia is a subsidiary of the UK.

Brazil is an independent country.

A lot of Germans immigrated to Brazil after WW I and also after WW II.

You said: "3) I think you are confusing some nationbuilding difficulties with the ability to defeat an enemy when the gloves are off."

The US army had to outsource the fighting in Afghanistan because they did not know their way around that country.

As far as I understand the Taliban is making a big come back and the US army still can't figure out what to do in Afghanistan.

Remember what happened to the Soviet army in Afghanistan in the late 1980's?

The end of an Empire......

You also said: "we are now putting the marginally competent to work."

I know that today they are all working for the Bush administration.

#51     May 9, 2008
  2. Good morning SA,

Keep up the good work.

I do not agree with all that you say about either Brazil or US but at least you have the pelotas to put your thoughts on the line.

Some of your detractors subscribe to a differing line of thought and fair enough, history will be the judge .... it always is.

However, you seem to hit a nerve with many other readers and it sends them into an emotional frenzy where everything becomes fair game except for the very issue itself.

regards
    f9

#52     May 9, 2008
  3. SA: Only 5% of illegal <b>Brazilian</b> immigrants to the U.S. got here by traveling across the U.S.- Mexico border via an off-road route. Therefore, I conclude that only 5% of <b>all</b> illegal immigrants to the U.S. got here that way. That's why building a fence to block off-road border crossings is wasteful and stupid.

SA, I think you're too intelligent not to realize your own logical fallacy. You know <b>exactly</b> why your above claim makes no sense, so why bother posting it?

The world abounds with useless market forecasts, yet the most useless of all predictions seem to come from just two distinct types of forecasters: Perma-bulls, and Perma-bears like SA.

#53     May 9, 2008
  4. Excellent Commentary....As Usual
    ..................................................................................................

What would be an interesting exercise at this point is to suggest what the US is going to be like in the next decade vs its peers.

The recent oil price shock, is mostly due to the dollar decline, whereas in terms of other currencies, such as the Brazil and EURO currencies , there is no real price shock.

What is of particular interest would be the steps that are going to have to be taken post Bush/Cheney....and their implications.

The current mix of dollar/oil effects on commodity prices to the developing world whereby their currencies are inextricably linked to the dollar, are going through a very difficult period.

What is of particular disgust is that the two main culprits, Bush /Cheney are walking away scott free, leaving behind a wake of misery and wrongness to the world's society as a whole.

#54     May 9, 2008
  5. First of all, my point is that we can topple any government in the world. That we can't police the entire world at once is pretty obvious if you simply look at the numbers. So you are arguing something that I said in my post.

The entire world should welcome the day that the emerging countries of the world can contribute to the overall security of the planet. Looking at a country like Myanmar and what they are doing to their people brings me to near tears. It would be great if Brazil and China could team up to topple the junta there.

In short: Hopefully you'll spend a little time lobbying your government to use some of the huge windfall from those new oilfields (and congratualtions on those by the way- great for your country and our entire hemisphere) to build a strong military that could contribute to taking down a regime that confiscates UN food aid after a natural disaster.

By the way, your sovereign debt rating is still in the "B's" but just got an upgrade. Congratulations on the upgrade. Hopefully more will follow.

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/05/01/afx4956376.html

As said by another poster above, most people in the US want your great country to do well. Why you feel the need to trash talk the US is really beyond me. Britain isn't the world power it once was but it passed what it knew to the growing powers that in the end rescued it in WW2.

Your Korea example proves only that your knowledge of history is a bit lacking. Korea was divided to avoid WW3 (Communism vs. Capitalism). It was a prudent choice.

Kevin Phillips is not an economist. He is a political strategist. Show me a peer reviewed economics journal article that says US gdp is overestimated by 3-4 trillion dollars. Phillips can't be telling you something that you already know. He can be telling you something that you believe but, he isn't qualified to critique economic models developed by phd economists.

#55     May 9, 2008
  6. Cesko

Cesko

As said by another poster above, most people in the US want your great country to do well. Why you feel the need to trash talk the US is really beyond me.

Now to add insult to the injury, this deranged Brazilian idiot actually lives in the U.S..
    By the way he moved here because of traffic in Sao Paulo(?!).

#56     May 9, 2008
  7. LT701

LT701

take your long rambling anti-american rants and stuff them up your butt

grind your axe somewhere else

#57     May 9, 2008
  8. Mvic

Mvic

Some people are born complainers, glass half empty types that are never happy no matter where they are.

#58     May 9, 2008
  9. LT701

LT701

I'm getting so damned sick of everyone in the world thinking the American citizen owes them 'The American Dream' then hearing them bitch at us when 'we fail them'

Indians are the absolute worst about this

Here's an artifcle where they say the US is less appealing to them, because the job market here isnt as good as India

http://computerworld.com.my/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=8220&pubid=4&issueid=133

They destroy our job market, then run us down

like locusts, they move on to the next field

#59     May 9, 2008
  10. .

Hhubbins: “First of all, my point is that we can topple any government in the world.”

May 9, 2008

SouthAmerica: You are delusional now.

If Fidel Castro could read you posting he would be on the floor because he would be laughing so hard.

Cuba – only 90 miles from the US coast – it is a symbol that the US can’t get its way even with a small island such as Cuba.

The US has been trying to topple the Cuban government for the last 50 years, and only now Fidel is giving up his power because of his health and old age.

But the United States have been able to show the rest of the world that the US can topple the government of places such as Panama, Grenada, and the fight still going on in Iraq and Afghanistan – 2 countries that had been destroyed almost completely before the US decided to show its power.

But the Somali gangs were too strong for the US army and the US had to live town in the 1990's.

The US just pick on little guys to be able to project its power – Do you really think the US could topple the government in Russia or in China?

Napoleon and the Germans learned their lesson about going after the Russians – not that would stop people like George W. Bush of making the same mistake.

The Chinese also have nukes and they already showed that they can shoot down all the US satellites that the US needs for its army to be able to communicate.

The Chinese can build a 50 million-man army overnight and they can manufacture all the materials necessary to fight a war. The US army would need to go barefooted on a war against China since China makes all the shoes for the US army.

By the way, the US army is in worse shape than you think – its airplanes, thanks, trucks, helicopters, and so on are in disrepair since the sand and hot weather in the Middle East are destroying all the machinery needed to wage wars.

The latest reports say that besides the 30,000 American soldiers that have been badly wounded on the Iraq war there are at least another 65,000 that are severely mentally ill because of their stays in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

And they have been fighting only a few thousand freedom fighters here and there can you imagine if the US army had to fight with a real army?

Don’t forget the US army stayed for 50 years in North Korea looking at the North Koreans on the other side of the dividing line because they knew they could not beat the North Koreans on the battlefield.

#60     May 9, 2008