The Economist - Most Liveable Cities 2011

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kassz007, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

No Huckleberry. You can't compare Calgary with a population of 1 million with a country of 330 million people. Why don't we compare Calgary then with Marin county, CA. You lose then. How do you like them apples.

#91     Feb 24, 2011
  2. Spoken truly as someone who has likely never traveled outside of his own backyard. Some of the places you bash in this post are some of the most beautiful, exciting places on the Earth.

But of course, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how biased it may be.

#92     Feb 24, 2011
  3. We are comparing cities to cities not cities to countries or cities to counties. Please try to keep up with the thread topic, you are losing focus.

#93     Feb 24, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Dude, you are comparing Calgary to the entire US. Get with the program skippy.

#94     Feb 24, 2011
  5. Ugh, look at the name making the posts... I was not the one comparing Calgary to the entire USA. Try to keep up here...skippy.

#95     Feb 24, 2011
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Dude, this was your post. And it's nonsensical. Please try again.

#96     Feb 24, 2011
  7. This is the last post I will waste in this pissing contest. Read carefully. You are the one who started comparing USA vs. CANADA demographics, middle class and nice urban areas vs. CANADA, CANADIANS immigrating to USA.

Apart from the brief mention of Calgary being predominitely white, you then began ranting on the differences between USA and Canada.

#97     Feb 24, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Correct, you cannot compare the small white demographic of Canada with a country with 330 million people and 50 different races and cultures. It just doesn't work man.

#98     Feb 24, 2011
  9. Wrong, I've lived in (not just visited for 2 weeks as a tourist) and done business in several different countries over 3 continents - Europe, Africa, America. And we can quickly test who is more stuck in their backyard - I am posting this from Eastern Europe, not my home country. Where are you living at the moment?

The places I 'bashed' are NOT exciting compared to the world's top few cities, or anywhere near as varied, or have anything close to the opportunities. Alberta, Adelaide, Vienna etc are not shitholes, and not boring compared to most places, but compared to NYC, London, Hong Kong etc they definitely are. Just like a boxer ranked 30th in the world is one of the best in the world and could beat a normal person in a few seconds, but compared to a world champion he is hopelessly outclassed.

This list is not "10 fairly liveable cities". It is the 10 MOST liveable cities. That means the competition is the best in the world. And by any objective measure, the places on this list get totally destroyed by the genuinely top world cities. That is why no one in their right mind goes trying to make it big in Vienna or Auckland, and swarms of people from these 'top 10' cities emigrate to go to where the real opportunities, power, money and influence lie.

My opinion is based on simple facts:

FACT: London, NYC, and HK are much more wealthy than any of the cities on the list.
    FACT: London, NYC and HK are much more visited each year than any of the cities on the list.
    FACT: London, NYC and HK have far more of the world's top businessmen, celebrities, athletes, artists, intellectuals than any of the cities on the list.
    FACT: net migration from the cities on the list is far greater to London, NYC, HK etc than the other way round.
    FACT: London, NYC, and HK have far more diverse populations, goods and services, cultural attractions
    FACT: London has the entirity of Europe on its doorstep, Russia and N Africa are 3 hours away, the arab world a bit further. Canada is 3 hours from a few US border towns, and desolate arctic wastelands. Australia is surrounded by water and deserted outback. They are literally in the middle of nowhere - perfect for people who never travel, not so good if you like being close to different cultures. That is why only 20-30 million people live in these countries, both of which are bigger than the whole European continent, which has more than 10 times the population. People vote with their feet.

All these OBJECTIVE FACTS support my opinion 100%.

Now, if you honestly think the economist list represents the world's most liveable cities, then back it up like I just have done. State your criteria and show how Adelaide beats out NYC or London. You won't, because there are literally no reasons that justify it, apart from pathetic hometown bias.

#99     Feb 24, 2011
  10. This is where we disagree. You seem to be basing your criteria for the most liveable cities as being the most wealthy, or the most opportunity to accumulate the most wealth. You also mention cities with the most power and influence. The facts you list do indeed support your theory that cities such as London, NYC, Hong Kong are the wealthiest and hold the most influence. However, the article that this thread is based on takes into account many other factors.

So if the Economist created a list of wealthy, powerful, influential cities, then London, NYC, Hong Kong would surely be up there. But that is a different topic altogether. When I think of a "liveable" city, I also take into account factors such as crime, tolerance, cleanliness, etc. In which case, the cities on the Economist's list should indeed rank higher.

#100     Feb 24, 2011