The Economist - Most Liveable Cities 2011

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kassz007, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Yeah, actually according to Wikipedia for Vancouver, "In 1981, less than 7% of the population belonged to a visible minority group. By 2008, this proportion had grown to 51%."

Maverick's numbers are more Canada in general - the urban areas have much higher minority rates (just to state facts).

JJacksET4

#121     Feb 26, 2011
  2. jo0477

jo0477

Of course, no arguments there - but is this really any different from the US in many states? I've toured through the mid-west along with most of the North-Western states and the pattern of mostly white rural areas seems to hold up.

Admittedly, this is only from my own observations and I may be way off base so I'm not stating this a fact.

Also, I am not a Canadian who hates the US - In fact if I could choose, I would LOVE to live in Cali along the coast, north of LA... Carmel is one of the most beautiful little places I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.

#122     Feb 26, 2011
  3. I've lived in Vancouver and Toronto -- not sure if they deserve being #1,3.

#123     Feb 26, 2011
  4. Of course, I think you are generally correct. I'm not so sure (not having been there) about southern states like Georgia, South Carolina, etc. But, yes, that is more the pattern in the U.S. as well. Just pointing out that Vancouver demographics are much different from Canada as a whole, plus sometimes looking at data that is 5 or 10 years old can be very misleading these days.

I just wonder how so many people in Vancouver can afford $600K/700K/900K++ places (And even then, just 2+2s)? Same thing in N.Y. city I think, but there it seems like there are more people making good money in the financial industry - not sure what everyone in Vancouver does for a living!

JJacksET4

#124     Feb 26, 2011
  5. jo0477

jo0477

Lol, I can't argue that! Just pointing out that - like the US - the major Canadian Urban centers are also very diverse (just a little different ethnic mixture is all).

And its all perspective - just like in So-Cal (and I'm sure other states as well), not everyone loves Latinos and Blacks. Same for Vancouver - not everyone is overly fond of the growing Asian or Indian population either. (I am NOT one of those people but I do know many people refuse to live in Vancouver simply because of the influence of these two cultures)

#125     Feb 26, 2011
  6. They smuggle drugs into and out of the US or import them from Asia. :]

#126     Feb 26, 2011
  7. Frostie

Frostie

You are saying your country is more culturally diverse, but I believe most black people in America are American and thus largely contribute to what is believed to be the common American culture.

13% of Americans are foreign born, with a large amount of that percentage being from Mexico. In a few years, the latino influence will be so strong that it too will fall in with the commonly perceived notion of what an American is. The same holds true for French Canadians, I would not call having a large amount of French Canadians around as being culturally diverse...they are a big part of the common culture.

Also, the term Melting Pot that you used earlier is a term that can be found in Canadian policy to foster multiculturalism. Does the US have an official policy on the subject?

#127     Feb 27, 2011
  8. achilles28

achilles28

LOL
    :D

#128     Feb 27, 2011
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Yup. Cost of living is cheap relative to Canada.

#129     Feb 27, 2011
  10. achilles28

achilles28

And most non-european immigrants settle in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Which makes a racial comparison between larger Canadian and US cities valid. But the point is moot. For example, in Toronto, whites barely form a majority. Blacks, Indians, North Africans and Asians are common. In many suburbs, they dominate. Incidentally, outside the wealthy downtown core, most Toronto neighborhoods are low to low-middle class, dotted with upper class enclaves. We're certainly burdened with our share of dead-weight. Canada is a G7 economy - developed, financially and geographically rich, highly educated, great social safety net. But we're not a world player, and I think our cities reflect that. Toronto can't hold a candle to a New York, Paris or London...

That said, where do the hottest, freshest chicks live ? With the best nightlife? :D

#130     Feb 27, 2011