The EV transition is real

Discussion in 'Economics' started by VicBee, Apr 19, 2024.

1. VicBee

VicBee

https://electrek.co/2024/04/19/dc-fast-charging-station-for-every-15-gas-stations/

The US now has 1 DC fast charging station for every 15 gas stations
    Michelle Lewis
    | Apr 19 2024

DC fast charging station installation is gaining momentum in the US – Q1 2024 saw a 7.6% increase to nearly 8,200 total.
    More DC fast charging stations are coming online

Bloomberg Green analyzed federal Alternative Fuels Data Center data and found that nearly 600 DC fast charging stations came online in Q1 2024.
    That’s one DC fast charging station for every 15 gas stations, and Tesla Superchargers make up more than a quarter of them. Tesla Superchargers qualify for federal National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) funding if they’re CCS compatible, and Tesla is currently the largest recipient of NEVI funding.

Retailers are playing a big part in the DC fast charger rollout; 10 opened at Buc-ee’s, and nine opened at Wawa in Q1 2024. Both NEVI chargers and non-federally funded DC fast charging stations are coming online.
    Electrek reported on February 21 that the US Southeast’s first NEVI EV charging station broke ground, in Kentucky.

Bloomberg also points out that it’s not just a bicoastal rollout (and note that the following are all red states):
    Indiana, for example, switched on 16 new fast-charging stations between January and April. Missouri and Tennessee each cut the ribbon on 13 new stations, while Alabama got 11 new places to plug in.

Electrek’s Take
    This is great news, and I am excited to watch the DC fast chargers multiply rapidly across the US. I charge my EVs at home most of the time, but I still need fast chargers when I go on trips, like everyone else.
    This growth will hopefully alleviate the range anxiety that persists among the general public. Charging deserts are quickly being eliminated.
    Lately, there’s been a lot of coverage about the sluggishness of the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) EV charger rollout, but Bloomberg Green‘s report shows that it’s well underway.
    But that rollout was never going to happen in five minutes – it’s nothing short of a transportation revolution, and everyone started from scratch. There are a lot of moving parts.

Jaydom, semperfrosty and Picaso like this.
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I've been driving my Tesla all over Florida for the past month, and I've had no problem finding fast chargers. My favorite chargers are the ones in the parking lots of Wawa Convenience Stores. I just plug my car in, and then go inside to get a drink, chips and a sub. By the time I get back out to my car and eat my sandwich, my car is charged and ready to go.

Occam, Jaydom, semperfrosty and 6 others like this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

15 to 1 is still 15 to 1.

Wonder what the projection is for how soon it will be at 15 to 2?

That might answer somewhat, how long till parity.

But the thing about that is charging times become an issue compared to filling times. If that is not improved, and yet more people switch over, than parity won't be "good enough".

4. My biggest concern of EV is battery replacement. The battery life is about 15 years. If you want to keep your car longer that, adding the cost of replacing the battery once, EV is not a good deal even with $7500 tax credit.

MarkBrown and d08 like this.
  5. I suspect that Insurance Companies have not voted yet on this new
    technology, but I am sure they will have an opinion.
    Imagine parking an EV in your attached garage to charge it,
    and it self combusts?
    Jeez.

From 1 year sgo:
    Lithium-ion battery fires are happening more often. Here’s how to prevent them

15 years ago, I walked into a Home Depot with an EMPTY propane tank (20 pound).
    Everybody went nuts (It was empty!)
    That's insurance companies

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  6. That's not really how you'd wanna think about it. You have (a) initial purchase price, (b) maintenance costs
    and (c) energy costs. After that there is some residual value (i.e. purchase price minus depreciation) and that gets you the total cost of ownership. Depreciation includes the fact that the battery needs to be replaced after some years, the fact that electric cars are still immature as opposed to gas cars etc. People have done these comparisons (e.g. here: https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a32494027/ev-vs-gas-cheaper-to-own/) and the general consensus is that with the tax credit EVs are marginally cheaper to own.

PS. Personally, I have not found an electric car I liked and even then my "fleet" consists of two very economical vehicles that I'll drive into the ground first. I am also concerned that the technology is not mature yet, the parts will be more expensive etc. Maybe in five years.

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

"California has the most Tesla Supercharger stations (448) and the most Tesla Supercharger ports (6,913). After California, the states with the most Tesla Supercharger stations are Texas (160), Florida (158), New York (91), and Arizona (49)."

Location, location, location, just like in real estate.

If I were a Tesla owner I would be vivid about that non-Tesla owners now can use our proprietary charging stations, what was a selling point a few years back.

8. d08

d08

Most EV buyers are excited when the cars are new but once battery replacement time appears, the costs turn almost everyone off. Most seem to go back to ICE vehicles. An old ICE vehicle with huge mileage and lots of wear can still perform as a car. An old EV with a worn out battery is basically useless.

NoahA likes this.
  9. mervyn

mervyn

not sure, my circle of friends are just leasing, ice or ev, tax deductible.

10. VicBee

VicBee

Perhaps you should inquire as to the life of batteries and their warranty. There are numerous Tesla owners with well over 1 million km on their cars discussing batteries on YT

#10     Apr 21, 2024