the mathematics of persistence

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by darkhorse, Nov 26, 2005.

1. whoodi

whoodi

Great post dark horse. This is really common sense but it is the awareness that makes the big difference. I would like to share a quote which gave me a wake up call, it ties in well with this topic.

" Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent..."

- President Calvin Coolidge
    30th president USA

Some one else also said " learning is a process not an event"

I suppose this explains why people who are academically can be so stupid, they lack the ability to connect the dots :)

#21     Dec 7, 2005
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  2. Two words:

Stop

Loss

#22     Dec 7, 2005
  3. Self co-ersion is doing the same thing over and over without iterative refinment.

#23     Dec 7, 2005
  4. I do believe that using a systematic approach will yield consistent results (at least for a while). By mimicking what the top sales people do (i.e. call more people, work longer hours, say the same things) you ended up with similar results. This does make sense to me. If that's what NLP is then I believe in it.

What I don't believe is that one can be taught to see things the way that the person you are modeling is seeing things. For example, I know by experience that I don't possess the salesperson mentality, so if I worked in the same telcom sales dept and even made the presidents club by modeling the top sales people, I don't think I would last very long because these activities I find very stressful and will probably conclude at some point that it's not worth it. Whereas the top sales people are probably experiencing enjoyment.

#24     Dec 7, 2005
  5. Unfortunately the role of luck is under-represented in this exposition. Just as it is over-represented in the aphorism

" I'd rather be lucky than smart. "

#25     Dec 7, 2005
  6. jts

jts

Thanks darkhorse I've bought this one - plus several others on similar themes!:)

#26     Dec 8, 2005
  7. Thanks for clarifying your post Random Events, I agree with your last post. At that time I did have the same drive, mentality, as those top sales people, now it has shifted to trading. Trading for a living is something I have wanted to do for 4 years, I quit my job to do my best to be sucessful so back to chart reading I go, lol! Best of trading to everyone.

#27     Dec 9, 2005
  8. This is a very dumb notion. You discount/ignore family money. Given Education (some parents actually pay for their kid's Harvard MBA) and family connections.

#28     Dec 10, 2005
  9. thanks for the post

#29     Dec 10, 2005

10. When assessing an idea / essay / observation, there are at least two motives one can bring to the table.

1) A desire to discredit, i.e. what flaws can I find in this observation. How can I show it to be wrong (or 'dumb').

2) A desire to profit, i.e. what intellectual / emotional / personal gain can I take from this observation, regardless of its flaws.

The first motive is costly over the long run. In seeking to habitually discredit rather than seek benefit, one invariably misses out on profitable insights. Useful connections will often appear one-sided in their presentation; when a connection comes to light, most of the time it only illuminates one specific corner of the bigger picture. Thus no matter how thought provoking an observation is, a motivated discreditor can always find a way to nitpick and say "Well that's clearly stupid / wrong / valueless because you left out X or forget to address Y or glossed over Z," etc.

In contrast, the second motive is hugely profitable over the long run. By seeking to extract value whenever and wherever possible, regardless of how flawed or marred the source, one is able to gain insight from some pretty surprising places.

A fool cannot learn much from a wise man, but a wise man can learn much from a fool. Even the most painful and pointless exchange can sometimes bear fruit if one knows how to harvest it... at the very least the lesson of 'choosing one's battles' is a good one to reinforce... and there are many off-topic lessons worthy of examination, such as those that speak to communication and psychology and the general human condition.

The value-extracting mindset has another hidden benefit: personal satisfaction. I am often tempted to say 'thank you' to those who seek harm, for whatever reason, but actually wind up making me wiser / smarter / stronger instead.

cheers

#30     Dec 10, 2005
    Simples likes this.