The mind of a trader

Discussion in 'Journals' started by djmartin, Jun 13, 2015.

1. k p

k p

Finally got a chance to watch your next two videos. Its interesting that you say you're not a support and resistance trader since this is the total opposite of what I look at! LOL

I find that watching the DOM for me was too hectic, and just knowing that all those standing orders are fake anyway turned me off of this. I can see how T&S could be a big thing though, especially when you filter out any trades that don't have at least a volume of 10 contracts, and just showing if the order is filled at the bid or ask since this somehow gives you an idea of it its a market order to buy or sell (I don't know much about this though so just stating a generality I've read).

I wonder if when you start to do some videos with live trades or replay if you could include your DOM window into the frame? I'd like to see what you're referring when you actually start getting a sense of which way the market is going (is it just because it appears that there are more orders to buy above the current price rather than more orders to buy below the current price???). Actually, I just realized that you can only do this when recording live trades since the DOM information isn't stored and hence can't be replayed. Its only T&S that can be replayed since these are the actual transactions that are recorded.

Anyway.. I look forward to your take on getting a sense of the market direction. This is the one thing that I'm lacking... the precise entry, and although I get the direction right, I find that unless I can get in just before it takes off, when price does go 2 points or 3 against me right after entry, I'm spooked or stopped out of the trade. So it seems like timing it better would make a world of difference.

#31     Jun 16, 2015
  2. djmartin

djmartin

I don't look at the DOM all day long, that would make a man go crazy. Let me give you an example, If I have a long bias I'll wait until the market starts to pullback before I start to really focus on the DOM. I'm trying to find the turning points. You don't want to look at all the orders, you want to focus on the BIG orders being executed, Market Delta is a great platform for watching this. Market bias is the key, if you have a good tool to determine market bias, thats half of the battle. If I was you I would look into different trading styles and tools too start to pull from. Its going to get frustrating or confusing at times but thats how you build YOUR trading plan. THERE IS NO GROWTH WITHOUT STRUGGLE.

#32     Jun 16, 2015
    k p likes this.
  3. Redneck

Redneck

DJ

Share your perspective on losers please

What they mean to you
    How / if they affect you
    How you identify where the stop is placed - when.., where a trade breaks down

imo - how we perceive / manage / deal with trades that break down..., is far and away more important than the trades that work - to a point (we can win and still go broke if the winners not managed correctly)

=============

btw - won't / can't promise to be positive all the time - but I will be objective and straight up

Thx
    RN

#33     Jun 16, 2015
  4. djmartin

djmartin

#34     Jun 16, 2015
  5. djmartin

djmartin

#35     Jun 16, 2015
  6. djmartin

djmartin

#36     Jun 16, 2015
  7. BS alarm

#37     Jun 16, 2015
  8. k p

k p

LOL... this is the type of post that I think is fine because I believe in free speech and each poster should get at least one try to voice their opinion, but without any rationale for why you call it BS, your post is anything but helpful.

djmartin may of course have a completely different viewpoint though and i hope that this doesn't turn him off at all and just rolls off his back. :)

#38     Jun 16, 2015
  9. The whole thing just feels like a stealth vendor setup is all.

#39     Jun 16, 2015
  10. k p

k p

I can certainly understand why you would feel this way. I never thought he was a vendor, but I did mention that the way he presents and talks makes it sound like it, not that this is what I think, just saying it has a certain feel. Perhaps given that his background is in mortgages, and he works at a bank, I think doing the "pitch" is in his blood and hence comes through naturally in the way he communicates.

#40     Jun 16, 2015