This is the end. We are witnessing collapse of the global economy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by orbit23, Mar 27, 2020.

1. orbit23

orbit23

I am genuinely curious, how the hell will we get out of this mess?

The current economy is heavily consumer based, and pretty much everything that has to do with consumers has literally DIED overnight.

Restaurants DEAD
    Pubs DEAD
    Aviation DEAD
    Travelling DEAD
    Cruiseships DEAD
    Shopping DEAD

And pretty much every business is running on debt. The cashflow went from the highest it's ever been to 0. ZERO. NULL. NADA!!!!

How can the economy keep running?

I guess the best we can do is try to keep the infections at a minimum and try to restore things to normal, but the outlook is not bright until summer (it seems like the virus is likely to be seasonal), and then it could come back the next year.

It's going to be a tough 1-2 year before a vaccine comes out, i tell you that. And even afterwards... It's going to be very hard to get the economy back on it's feet. I assume governments will start printing enormous amounts of money, potentially causing inflation and at the same time, the assets could be in deflation since the supply could overheat the market(everyone looking to sell at the same time, without any buyers).

Any ideas? How the F# will the economy sustain itself?

2. zghorner

zghorner

Be honest bulls are you all shitting your pants right now? I can’t imagine being long right now.

3. Turveyd

Turveyd

This will be over in 3months, no vaccine, required, it's too late.

athlonmank8 and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  4. This is just the beginning. GDP will contract. Covid-19 will reshape the global economy significantly. The resorts, travel, and leisure business are going to have to find a new normal.

I suspect this means significantly reduced expectations, some winners (Blackstone?) and a few big losers (e.g. carnival).

In a world with 14-day mandatory quarantines and massive unprecedented travel restrictions, global pandemic, and faltering, over-indebted economies, business will change, it will have to.

dennis86 and Clubber Lang like this.
  5. schizo

schizo

If you're talking about the ECONOMY, then YES. If you're talking about the STOCK MARKET, then NO.

6. Cuddles

Cuddles

so....this isn't the bottom OP? What happened?

Also, no need to wait for next year. 2020 also has a fall and winter just like every other year.

piezoe and zghorner like this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

There is zero evidence to support this, since it manifested at the start of Winter Solstice, and has since spread to areas where it is very very hot.

Real Money and Turveyd like this.
  8. Turveyd

Turveyd

Yep, looking more and more like a 1 shot deal and everyone gets in 1 go.

No Zig Zag, and multiple lockdowns atleast, but only 95% sure currently.

China data soon!!

9. Many businesses are still open that are deemed essential services...

Grocery stores, home improvement stores, auto mechanics, construction industry, banks, even restaurants for takeout and delivery

AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.
  10. I think we would all be shocked to know the true number of people that were infected and never got tested. They will hopefully be immune. I'm pretty sure this includes myself.

#10     Mar 27, 2020
    Tsing Tao likes this.