Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Daxtrader, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I have had brief moments in the shower with the water hitting the back of my head that it felt like the sound was gone. Also floating in the sea with waves coming over my head. You cherish those moments as rare as they are, but eventually, it's fine.

#41     Sep 14, 2023
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  2. Tinnitus 24/7 last 12 years. Caused from target practicing with a new pistol. I regret the day I did it without ear protection. I've shot everything from pistols to rifles without ear protection growing up. There was just something about the sound of this particular pistol that did me in.

Some days are good, some bad. Being tired/not enough rest seems to play a role. I'm used to it now but it's always there, never ends. You have to get used to it. Tinnitus for many is your brain compensating for damaged inner ear hair cells, which cannot be medicated or repaired. I can't speak for any treatments. Some of the treatments sound voodooish, such as training your brain to ignore the sound. Certain background noises can help mask the sound but it's always there.

#42     Sep 14, 2023
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    ANY pistol should be used with ear muffs;
    even more so witha .357 or .41 or .44
    .22 subsonic designed to not break the speed of sound.

#43     Sep 14, 2023
    LoneStarTrader likes this.
  4. nitrene

nitrene

I've had it since January 1991 when I went to a concert in SF (Belgian Techno band Front 242). I was too close to the mammoth speakers. I think it took me about 6 months to get used to it. It helps if you live in a noisy urban area. It doesn't really bother me any more.

#44     Sep 18, 2023