Tracking Statistics

Discussion in 'Trading' started by takinprofitss, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Hi, would like help on tracking statistics.

Using the range that the names from my daily watchlist move on daily, weekly and monthly time frame has helped me a lot and finiding how much they move relative to it.

I am having issue though with three things and was wondering if I could get help
    - percent variance with %/number found (I currently use about 5%, meaning if it has an average of 100 points on weekly, then 95-105 point move is what I would be looking for, is there are a more official number for variance say 99% or is there a principle/way I can learn to help me determine this)
    - back testing previous ranges (without knowing them, like the ATR TSLA had during the last month of August)
    - use of spreadsheets to calc this (have been doing it by hand, just time consuming, was wondering if you had any way to speed it up)

thank you

2. Peter8519

Peter8519

You need stock charting software e.g. Ninja Trader, Metastock or Amibroker in order to do it. On top of that, you need a script that is software specific that scan all the stocks in your database that meet your criteria and output to a csv format file.

Here is an example of Amibroker AFL code for ATR with period of 7 days. The % change is calculated current over previous day.

my_atr = ATR(7);
    filter = ref(my_atr,0)/ref(my_atr,-1) >= 0.95 and ref(my_atr,0)/ref(my_atr,-1) <= 1.05;

Run the exploration and the results will be tabulated.
    This is not a recommendation for this software. You need to do your own research.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    takinprofitss likes this.
  3. @Peter8519

thank you so much I appreciate it, I will check those brokers out I have heard of the first 2 but not the 3rd. I use 14 but would really like to experiment and track the results for myself. My computer skills are not the best, and I see that I will have to become decent at coding (or programming, not sure which is correct term). Would you have a recommendation as to a starting point?

4. Peter8519

Peter8519