Trader Documentary on raising funds

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Maverick74, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

This is an interesting video where various emerging managers are grilled by professionals on why they should be allocated capital. The questions asked are excellent things all traders should think about whether they are trying to raise funds or just trade for themselves.

2. dealmaker

dealmaker

I have seen this a while back, very informative. The show was either one off or did not do well, I couldn't find any follow ups...

3. I usually like financial/trading documentaries -- But that was boring as sh*t.
    I only watched it for less than five minutes of skipping around.
    I doubt those guys can even trade. They just look like a bunch of really conservative, traditional simple bankers of taking in deposits and lending out at a slighter higher rate.

I'd rather watch/replay another random 2008 Housing Market crisis documentary:
    PBS Frontline Breaking the Bank, 2009

o_O :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. Fonz

Fonz

Thank you for the link. I will definitely watch the 10 videos posted on YouTube.
    Fonz

5. Excellent Mav. You are singlehandely keeping elite relevant! Pay no mind to to the ne'rdowells and other assorted know it all yet broke trolls.

surf

6. H2O

H2O

Look for "Hedge Fund Shark Tank"

dealmaker likes this.
  7. Wolverine

Wolverine

I am sold for this forum only for this one post........Thanks.....There are always newbies who haven't seen the gold (maybe old) nuggets. Helpful.

8. d08

d08

It's supposed to be "boring as sh*t". The documentary wasn't that well made but I enjoyed the fact they didn't include flashy crap.

9. Maverick74

Maverick74

I think this documentary showed that "real" trading is boring but very hard work. This is a serious business. These guys had to defend their strategy, their process and their abilities. Very easy to do on a message board, much harder to do in person when people are staring you down and ripping holes all over your life's work.

dealmaker and d08 like this.

10. Watching the video, I simply could not help thinking of Dragon Den.

And then contrasting the "business pitches" of highly promising returns of some businesses to very successful entrepreneurs themselves turned VC. / vs the "business pitches" of kind of "conservatives" businesses to be financed via bank financing. It was just two different worlds. In one side the money holders motivators are :
    " do you want a tiny slice of a huge cake, but then you have to share with us, or a whole really tiny cake for yourself". On the other side, it was the "conservative" businesses explaining how safe they were to invest in.
    If I am not mistaken, the VC thing was really started by majorly successful entrepreneurs who were not into
    investing like a bank.

I think "street-educated" profitable traders better approach is to keep improving and not turn down demands of meeting with very high net worth individuals who also want a share of the cake, as these people always show up when the trader is fully sorted and ready. There is just this, "je ne sais quoi", that really got other talented people - even not in the trading world - being able to recognise and being attracted/fascinated by real talent. LOA I suppose.

#10     Apr 12, 2017