Trading on chains - thoughts sought

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by JonLivingston, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Hoping this is the most appropriate area, I ask to all the professionals here:

What are your thoughts on someone who is able to only trade UCITS ETFs, OEICs and spot currencies? Would you consider it a fruitless endeavour? Would you think/say that there's not much leeway for growth using these instruments?

I guess forex should be fine. So I'm interested in opinions about UCITS ETFs and the rest...

Why just these 3 instruments, you ask? Because of company policies: no single name securities whatsoever. Can't touch them at all. And everything else (i.e. derivatives based on whatever, or non-ucits ETFs), would have to go through compliance approval.

Think of the questions above in the context of automated trading. And no, the compliance software does not expose an API I could send a request to. It would have to be a manual process.

Also assume this is not something that falls in the HFT domain, nor day trading, I guess (I tend to hold positions for weeks, so far).

Thanks all in advance

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

you work in finance or law?

3. Nobert

Nobert

Change the company or delay trading until you can change it.

IMG_20230127_115428.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  4. Finance

Yeah. Currently implementing the latter, while I learn-and-absorb-all-the-things

murray t turtle and Nobert like this.
  5. %%
    ACTUALLY, ''no single name securities'' may be a blessing in disguise 97- 99% of the time.
    EVEN more so= while learning to trade\invest/ those are much more of a roller coaster.
    SO even in USa, most of the best + brightest cant even beat a good benchmark like SPY; + those do /seldom do it for 10years.
    A roller caster isn't an exact comparison\ so many single stocks went to zero\nothing:caution::caution:

JonLivingston likes this.
  6. I like to think I'm currently riding a bicycle with training wheels on.

7. I assume you are asking from a viewpoint of an investor? I would only be interested in track record. If you offer a different product as other market participants, it is only a plus point, as you can claim diversification benefits...

If I misunderstood the question, I apologize :)

8. %%
    LOL+i'm making sure to do plenty of walking;
    sometimes like elephant steps . And sometimes baby steps.
    Like the guy that wrote Baby Steps Millionaires ; i thought he was against single stocks.
    He always did say sell them anytime some asked him or even mentioned single stocks/LOL.
    In early 2023 he did disclose he was not really against them , just limit them to 10%\ since average trader\ investor averages 7.5%, single stocks. SPY [S+P 500 benchmark] averages 12%.
    STRANGELY early2023 maybe exceptional for some stocks\
    but FEB tends to do no so well\US stock market. Did ok with Barclays Bank ADR; just could have easily lost money in Barings BankLOL:D:D.
    Compliance DEPT maybe helpful..............................

JonLivingston likes this.
  9. I'm not sure whether a difference between trading and investing is being made here. Probably yes.

I'm asking from the point of view of someone who would go long/short an ETF of the UCITS kind because of the restrictions currently imposed on me by company policy.

10. Hehe appreciate it.

#10     Jan 28, 2023