TradingView review: "Screw 'em!"

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by tommcginnis, Nov 10, 2018.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I almost went with TradeStation when I started trading 10+ years ago. I forget why I didn't. the commission structure (vis. IB) I recall to have been similar. If I had foreseen my own interests in analytics outside/beyond what was available on the platforms, I would've gone with TS rather than TWS. I might've liked that IB/TWS was a DMA, and a 'no-nonsense' platform, without the vast amount of knuckle-headedry that permeates so much of retail trading. In 2018?? TWS has had all sorts of band-aid attachments to it that answer a *call* for features, but not the need. (But even then, I still elect to have the pop-ups on screen, following every trade, showing acct impacts and graphing spread performances, and they have improved vastly from what they were. How much improved? Sometimes, I actually look at them. Yup.)

#11     Nov 13, 2018
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

IB's TWS has done alerts *very* well since I've been there -- 2006 or 2007, so, there was no need for me to check TV's. Good to know, though -- and improves their chances of hooking up with a solid trade-provider in the future.

#12     Nov 13, 2018
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I constructed my own. But I've always regarded this guy's stuff as better than mine, and were I to pay for something, I'd certainly pay for this:
    https://www.hoadley.net/options/options.htm

If we were grading this? I'd give my own work a B, to this guy's A. Mine does some valuable things that I could not find anywhere else (and so, suits my trading to a T), but his is very very solid, and (to my eye) still an overall step up from mine. (If I had a year to NOT trade? Just polish my platform? I'd aspire it to look like Hoadley's.)

#13     Nov 13, 2018
  4. userque

userque

:) I mean, are you using M$ Excel? Excel 365? Etc.

#14     Nov 13, 2018
  5. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

Have you tried out MotiveWave (we're computer-based, not web-based)? I'd be interested in knowing what you think, as we do have full strategy/backtesting functionality and we connect to IB, TradeStation, and others.

#15     Nov 14, 2018
  6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

"Ewwww!" I have never owned a MicroBloat spreadsheet.

But how is the software relevant?

Regardless, OpenOffice and LibreOffice both, offer a smaller and more-robust platform, smaller finished spreadsheet sizes, ferocious backwards and cross-platform flexibility, and a similar set of features.

#16     Nov 14, 2018
  7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I have not tried MotiveWave, but one thing {mentioned above} that appealed to me about TV was the ability to share things with non-IB clients/users, AND to have access on weekends (something that had been completely unavailable on IB long ago, but may be different in these last few years....) Those things would be helpful, at any rate.

I'll try and check out MotiveWave, but it'll be a bit -- the workload right now is a bit involved...

#17     Nov 14, 2018
    MotiveWave likes this.
  8. It still appears confusing what you actually want? Share backtest results? Share charts? What exactly do you look to share? And do you look to chart financial data? Or run backtests? Or execute trades on an automated trading system? You covered all the above in multiple posts but it does not appear clear, at least to me, what exactly it is that you want to do. If it is everything of the above the simple answer is : Such system does NOT exist off the shelf. So what are the tradeoffs and compromises you can make?

#18     Nov 15, 2018
  9. userque

userque

LOL...

No biggie, :) I only mentioned MS Excel because you said:

... and it's very easy to create a candlestick chart in Excel.

#19     Nov 15, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

OMG. After I responded to you, something struck me -- that I'd seen "Box&Whisker" plotting in various places, and that took four data points (at least) to form, and what if you just strung those together -- wouldn't that be a Japanese Candlestick?

Long story short: with a little bit of research, I have found that both OpenOffice (Apache) and LibreOffice (mostly Mozilla now) do Japanese Candlesticks -- they just call them "stock charts" and as weird as it may sound, I just have never had need/use for those things from a spreadsheet. "D'OH!!!" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have pushed these spreadsheets pretty hard over the last 5 years, but it's hilarious (now) that I've not ever needed/desired to develop a price/market "stock chart" in there. Oh, well -- "Live and learn" and all that rot. :wtf::cool:

#20     Nov 15, 2018
    userque likes this.