Truth about cancer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kicking, Feb 22, 2010.

1. It 's been some time since I got interested in the subject of cancer, whether conventional medicine has any answer at all (beside simple surgery) , whether chemotherapy is worse than doing nothing, whether alternative medicines have any benefit, whether systematic testing is justified (whether X-rays are dangerous), and whether people who "die from cancer" actually die from cancer or most of the time from complications due to the treatment. It's been suggested that people generally die from the side effects of chemotherapy . It's my intuition as well.

I found it very difficult to find reliable answers on all these questions. Most of the info I find on the net sound a lot like conspiracy theories and I am somewhat skeptical of the claims made on alternative treatments such as the miracle graviola extracts.
    Is the graviola story true for example ? Supposedly a pharma company halted research when they couldn't synthesize the compound that had been shown to be 10,000 times more effective than the best chemotherapy drug. I also read about a study in Japan that showed mice treated with graviola compounds fared better than those treated with chemotherapy, (untreated mice did better too since chemotherapy killed about half the mice) . Again it's hard to find info on this from a -supposedly- reliable, mainstream source.

Here are some links :

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/about-us.html
    (this is an Agora publications, so I take it with a grain of salt)

http://www.whale.to/ (lots of conspiracy theories there)

http://douglassreport.com/ This guy says chemo is a hoax, and steaks and beers are good for you. He is called a nut.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/PAG00098/Cancer-Information-Dr-Weil.html

Dr Weil

At the same time , I sense something is wrong with the whole issue of cancer and its treatment. Conventional treatments are mostly not effective , and apparently actually shorten patients' lifes , and society bears a huge cost for these shortcomings. There is a gigantic transfer of wealth to the pharma industry and the medical profession and it goes almost totally unchallenged in the media and politics.
    This subject is never brought up in mainstream media , I am a seeker of truth and I know all traders are . I thought you would have some info on this issue and certainly some on here are M.D's so they must have their opinion on this as well.

2. wrong.

3. so what makes you say that. Everything I read on this shows medicine does not have the answer . Aside from surgery, medicine seems unable to treat cancer effectively. The effectiveness of drugs is questionable in light of the statistics that you can find on the web. Sure, progress has been made over the years but it's difficult to say conventional medicine is really adding value and improving patient's life. Success is for example defined as survival after X years (say 5) , if the patients die after those years , this is considered a success for the medical community.
    Even if the patient spent 70% of their time during those years, either hospitalized or undergoing some debilitating treatment .
    To me this is not a success, if it came at a reasonable cost to society maybe , but that's far from being the case. Cancer treatment often costs close to a million dollar a year per patient, and the patient still dies in the end.

4. morganist

morganist Guest

i have heard a couple of things. the first cuba has a cure, if you look at the rates of cancer there they are low.

the second is that the vitamin b17 cures or prevents cancer. it is in apricot seeds.

i have also heard that cancer is created by cell mutation, that you know, this you don't. supposedly we have a cell, white cells, that kills these mutations early on before it spreads so when this cell stops working or we have a low number of them it enables us to get cancer. the cancer is created when this cell is not functioning or dead. the thing that gives cancer is what turns this cell off, some research has suggested it is found in a chemical from smoke. even other cancers are started by this because when the white cells are turned off it enables cancers to form anywhere.

5. morganist

morganist Guest

with our diets we will get cancer because of over population. natures way of keeping population down i guess.

6. have also heard that cancer is created by cell mutation, that you know, this you don't. supposedly we have a cell, white cells, that kills these mutations early on before it spreads so when this cell stops working or we have a low number of them it enables us to get cancer.
    ----------------

Sounds much like the aging process.

7. some research has suggested it is found in a chemical from smoke.
    -----------------

Suppose we made a market, 1000 smokers, everyone go long. Ya think we'd all be winners on cause and correlation?

I'd bet that the insurance cos don't even know.

8. the truth about cancer is this. you can easily cut your risk in half at no cost.

watch sun exposure,dont smoke,dont drink, eat a low cal plant based diet,get some exersize.

9. 151

Sorry but there are too many variables, and too much evidence to the contrary for that to be true.

Not to pick on you but do you take everything from the AMA and FDA to be fact?

If so look at the history of their "facts" and how they have changed over time.

Start with the "myth" that fat in your diet is unhealthy.

10. of course not all fats are unhealthy. its saturated fat that is the killer.

#10     Feb 23, 2010