TWS: annoying candlestick spikes in option charts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by samovar, Sep 3, 2020.

1. samovar

samovar

I'm trying to chart options in TWS, but the chart sucks one way or another. If I select to display "Trades", nothing shows up (try with the NQ Oct 16 CALL @ 14000). If I choose Midpoint or Bid/Ask, I get these these stupid large outliers, I'm guessing highs & lows for the candlesticks, but there's way too much variation for that data to be legit.

upload_2020-9-2_23-6-48.png

How can I get rid of them, because they shrink the actually useful part of the price action.
    I've tried all bar types, and they all have these wicks.

2. guru

guru

Bid/ask can vary that much or can be pulled completely, so the chart likely reflects the data. IB wouldn’t just add artificial data in there.
    I deal with this by manually resizing the chart using the vertical scroll bars on the left, zooming into the narrower price range.

3. samovar

samovar

You're right, the time & sales data shows these rogue 200 Asks once in a while.

Is there no way to filter out outliers like these? Say, any candle 50%+ vs. the previous one?

4. guru

guru

Wow, programmable charts? Like brokers don’t get requests for thousands of other features. You’d have to create your charting program or find one that does this.

5. samovar

samovar

I don't know what's "programmable" about this. Just a filter for dumb values that screw up the charts.

Anyway, I have actually built my own charts with Highstock and InfluxDB collecting data from IB; thanks for the reminder, need to dig out that project.