U.S. Political Party Preferences Shifted Greatly During 2021

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ipatent, Jan 18, 2022.

1. ipatent

ipatent

2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

3. notagain

notagain

Adversarial system stuck in a loop.

4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

It would be really interesting to look at this long term. Like 10 years or so, if the data was readily available. This would let us know if there was volatility to the series, and how much. Also would be interesting to know at what point the inflection went the other way.

What impact does this have for polling, the way Democrats are oversampled and the justification always being "there are more democrats than republicans".

5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Tsing Tao likes this.
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Thanks, Tony. I appreciate the data. Here is a chart based on the data in the link (I threw together this morning).

upload_2022-1-19_8-29-11.png

The volatility of the series is in the dim red and blue (red is Republican/Lean and blue Democrat) but the bright red and blue lines are the 6 month SMA.

There are clear trend changes - oddly during GWB - which was surprising as I kinda attributed Obama to be the beginning of the hyper partisan era. But the latest numbers in the graph posted by ipatent about shifts during 2021 seem like they are noise in the grander scale. I doubt there is anything significant from it over longer term numbers (the mob is fickle!)

The next step - if I had the time or inclination - would be to overlay age demographics. As the voting population gets older or younger, what changes?