Walmart is quietly preparing to enter the metaverse

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by johnarb, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Sprout

Sprout

For you, definitely less than what you paid for it.

#11     Jan 17, 2022
    johnarb likes this.
  2. Sprout

Sprout

lol, the only thing that you have reliability predicted is how much you missed the boat with crypto's. Most likely, for folks on this forum then, they would have the prevalent sentiment; "I thank my lucky stars I listened to johnarb and not you."

Educating myself about this emerging market was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's a speculator's dream.

For all the time you've trolled crypto, any skilled trader would have made bank. Even an unskilled trader just hodling a promising project would have outperformed, by a magnitude, the s&p - to claim any bragging rights is delusional at best.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    #12     Jan 17, 2022
    johnarb likes this.
  3. NoahA

NoahA

What happens if someone steals the NFT to your house? Do they then just roll up and get the police to kick you out? Just because they have the NFT, does this mean you have to leave your house?

#13     Jan 17, 2022
  4. VEGASDESERT

VEGASDESERT

If i were Walmart id more concerned about taking online market share from Amazon.

Theyre probably the only company that has the infrastructure and deep pockets to try

#14     Jan 17, 2022
  5. is stealing an nft easier than breaking into a government office and changing a deed? the stolen NFT would be on an open-ledger for the entire world to see that it was taken from wallet A and moved into wallet B.

#15     Jan 17, 2022
  6. NoahA

NoahA

LOL.. so much easier if the person doesn't know how to keep it secure. You can always use the court system to fight a changed deed if you consider it fraudulent. But if you want the ownership of a house to be 100% tied to the ownership of the NFT, then good bye house.

Yes, the world could see if it moved in the blockchain, but there is nothing that could be done about it if the laws stipulate that ownership of the physical item follows the ownership of the NFT.

This is not a road we want to go down.

#16     Jan 17, 2022
  7. i think we can agree that we are in the early days of NFTs. I would assume that laws and regulation would move hand-in-hand with the NFT-ing of real-world items. i don't have the motivation to expand on my idea, but just imagine buying a used-car now vs if it was NFT'ed thinking about it's ownership history. or buying a holiday home in Spain now vs buying it off eg., OpenSea for 10 ETH, etc. there is huge disruptive potential here.

#17     Jan 17, 2022
    johnarb and vanzandt like this.
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

I totally agree.
    I've been digging into NFT's for the last week and that's exactly what I thought too, especially as related to title companies.

Are they soon to be dinosaurs?

One of the largest, they control over 20% of the market:

First American Corporation (FAF)

Look at that chart.
    It's cheap, nice dividend, but is it a short?
    Hmmm.

#18     Jan 17, 2022
  9. NoahA

NoahA

I agree that this opens up a world of possibilities, but because there is no recourse to a transaction, we have to think very hard about the powers we give to NFTs.

Right now in the art world, paintings are always returned to their rightful owners, even if missing for decades. If we want to grant the holder of the digital token full ownership over the actual physical thing, without any chance of recourse, then this will be incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. It of course wouldn't last because the public would revolt when grandma losses her house because she clicked on the wrong button. Just because the digital token says one thing, when dealing with physical items, someone still has to enforce that. This is where the system would break down.

So I don't see the digital world mixing with the physical world too well. Something things can be made fully digital, others not.

#19     Jan 17, 2022
    unconventional wisdom likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

You stepped into the middle of a conversation between two forum users, and you clearly missed the point I am making. We won't know Noah's answer until he chooses to respond.

#20     Jan 17, 2022