Warning signs before MF Global went under

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by learner88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. KeLo

KeLo

Could you please provide some evidence? I do not see where TS is leveraged 24:1.

Here is what I found:
    TS is owned by Monex, a company traded on the Tokyo exchange (MNXBF/TYO:8698).
    Monex has had its ups and downs for PnL.

Today Morningstar shows Monex has leverage of 11.92.
    For comparison:
    IB has leverage of 9.48.
    TD Ameritrade has leverage of 5.33.
    E*TRADE has leverage of 9.65. In 2007, ETFC leverage was 20+.

TS did have a problem after the Swissy black swan and divested itself of IBFX, which was the problem child for capital requirements.
    https://www.financemagnates.com/for...bout-2000-ibfx-accounts-as-monex-exits-us-fx/

P.S. I think being HQed in FL is irrelevant to financial stability. TD Ameritrade is out of Omaha, Nebraska.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    #11     Jan 13, 2018
  2. Tradestation is a subsidiary of Monex, Monex can easily ditch Tradestation if they are about to go under.

Here is the latest Tradestation SEC filing that shows it is leveraged 24:1.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1002006/000100200617000002/TSSFinancialsFinCond3.pdf

I understand your point regarding HQed, but here in europe, FL has a very bad reputation and its name is attached to financial fraud. To be clear, I am not accusing Tradestation of any wrongdoing but I just don't like FL based brokers.

#12     Jan 13, 2018
    KeLo likes this.
  3. I don't have an account with AMTD but AMTD is a proper company. It is consistently profitable, has very low leverage and is a $30B publicly traded company. It is not some 24:1 leveraged company based in FL, owned by some japanese small cap company whose share price has declined by 75% over the last decade.

#13     Jan 13, 2018
  4. KeLo

KeLo

TS has some problems to be sure, but I don't see where the 24:1 leverage you quote comes from...
    Much appreciated Humble Investor... :)

#14     Jan 13, 2018
  5. Sig

Sig

When you say FL do you mean Florida? I have to ask because the idea that a Florida based broker is somehow automatically corrupt is so absurd that it can't possibly be what you meant? Are you the guy who's all concerned about the country where the CEO went to college as well (https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/brokers-that-are-doing-badly.316996/)?

#15     Jan 13, 2018
  6. comagnum

comagnum

If the name of MF is not a warning sign than what is?

upload_2018-1-13_16-47-5.jpeg
    [​IMG]

#16     Jan 13, 2018
  7. Did you read the filing? It is on page 6. TS has total assets of $2.36B vs only $98.3M in equity. That's 24:1 leverage.

#17     Jan 14, 2018
    777 likes this.
  8. I would feel better if that audit was conducted by Arthur Andersen.

#18     Jan 14, 2018
  9. KeLo

KeLo

Yes, I see it and appreciate your insight. :)

That is higher than e*Trade leverage in 2007. Of course, rates now are so low - but rising.

Another great place to gain insight into brokers that I found is glassdoor.com, where employees post their opinions. Many of the small brokers are not listed, but significant ones are usually listed.

I wish you a prosperous 2018 Humble Investor.

#19     Jan 14, 2018
  10. truetype

truetype

GD is heavily biased toward disgruntled ex-employees -- unless the employer itself spams the site with positive reviews.

#20     Jan 14, 2018