Welcome to my Shit Show

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Matt_K74, Jul 5, 2022.

1. So what's the bottom line.....what did you make in the market today,
    Enough to buy a Big Mac, Whole Alaskan King Salmon, Mortgage Payment, House,
    [​IMG]
    Trading the market, at least daily/intraday, is definitely part art, part science. It takes a wise trader to realize various data points, combined with the emotions of the market, to be able to trade it successfully, and sometimes deviations can happen,
    I trade the broad market index, the S&P, daily/intraday. That's my game. For other examples and people, their elements and variables may differ than mine.

#151     Aug 2, 2022
  2. d08

d08

Bottom line isn't what you make in a day but what you get to keep. But if you're obsessed with short-term performance then about $7k. Data points are just that, data points. My emotional state has no bearing on these data points. The market doesn't have emotions.

#152     Aug 2, 2022
  3. A trader needs a strong offense, the ability to make money from the market.
    Keeping it, being defensive about it, protecting it is all good too, I suppose.

The market is filled with emotions, every day. Emotions, and data points and variables, mix and jive with one another in various degrees. It takes a patient, calm, wise trader to observe and realize all of this unfolding and happening. And being able to execute those trades precisely.
    If the market went straight up with positive data, and straight down with negative data.....there would be millionaires all over the place. But that's not the case. Trading the market can definitely be considered an art form -- God, and the Devil, are in the details,

If someone can truly trade the S&P every day, they would have 1,000X your $7K profit in your trading account.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    #153     Aug 2, 2022
  4. cowmoo99

cowmoo99

My original post was unclear as I was very caffeinated, sleep-deprived and workin' hard on my computer at the same time and didn't bring the context.

Mr. Calhoun, if you go on his website - the only verifiable thing he has on there is a single line on his Fidelity statement sayin' he traded $44million worth of cost-basis in 2021 or something - nothin' else. Although he doesn't show equity curve nor capital gains tax return line nor his net liq, I suppose his cost basis somehow demonstrate that he is a big whale.

My point is I as someone with a miniscule account of ~300K can generate $13million of cost-basis traded, proves squat about whether somebody is a good trader or not.

#154     Aug 3, 2022
  5. That Ken Calhoun character salesman is such a sham. I can only say this here, otherwise he would ban/block/delete/edit me on his own posts. All those social media clowns essentially terminates all critical people and comments. They only want cheerleader comments for their cause.

I quickly noted that as well....bragging about your total turnover trade volume is meaningless....designed to only impress all the dumb guys out there who you are trying to sell courses and services to.
    My first year of trading some time back....I generated an amazing 415K in volume, all from a 9K account, and finished the year down -35%. And I barely even traded, had I traded a full steady year....I would probably have 10 million in trade volume.

Any salesman guru just has to churn his account to impress people by saying I did tens of millions in volume, but that stat fact alone means absolutely nothing. Salesmen are like politicians....they are great spinsters to make everything sound so impressive in their sales pitches and speeches.

If I had to wager....I would bet Ken Calhoun's trading account doesn't even match the S&P annual average. Nowhere near it.
    He absolutely doesn't even care about trading. His sole existence and purpose is to sell trading material and services.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    #155     Aug 3, 2022
    comagnum likes this.
  6. destriero

destriero

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah, cost basis is meaningless.

#156     Aug 3, 2022
  7. LM3886

LM3886

Trading exotics?

#157     Aug 3, 2022
  8. destriero

destriero

Vanilla index skews.

#158     Aug 3, 2022
  9. LM3886

LM3886

I see. Thanks, but how to get floating strike with vanilla options?

#159     Aug 3, 2022
  10. destriero

destriero

It describes the skew/dynamics, not a structure that's traded OTC.

#160     Aug 3, 2022
    LM3886 likes this.