What algorithmic trading firms use Scala?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Sotnis, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Sotnis

Sotnis

I'm sure there are as I've seen job postings with asking for scala experience. Since I can't think of any off the top of my head here's some similar-ish languages.

2. http://www.scala-lang.org/documentation/

It looks very cool....and has a lot of desirable attributes like parallelism.

I wonder if someone could write an entire trading platform using it ?
    Given the complexity of such an app, that would be a great test of it's abilities.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  3. 2rosy

2rosy

cs had a treasury auto market making system in scala

4. who is cs or did you mean G.S. (Goldman Sachs) ??

5. lwlee

lwlee

Java 8 has included lambda expressions, partly due to Scala success. It might be a good idea to take a look at that. Parallelism is also incorporated.

6. lwlee: Is Scala actually built using Java ?
    Does it actually act like a Java framework ?

7. lwlee

lwlee

Not sure what was used to create Scala. It's a functional language whereas Java is OO before Java 8. Both Java and Scala compile to the same bytecode used by JVM. So it's possible to use libraries interchangeably.

Scala is a different language all together. It's more like Haskell and Lisp. But as I said, you can build Scala libraries that Java apps can use.

8. lwlee

lwlee

Definitely you can write a trading application with it just like you can with Java.

But the inherent issues with a Java trading applications will also be a problem with Scala since they both use the same JVM ie garbage collection and JIT warmups.

9. Thanks for the technical info !!!!
    Very interesting.

10. 2rosy

2rosy

credit suisse

#10     Nov 19, 2015