What are you reading & why?

Discussion in 'Options' started by deltaf0rce, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

Value investor here...I read closely Berkshire Hathaway adds and subtracts. I question their every move!! I also go though Royce Value Trust's adds. They find value where others see clutter. Same with all the Royce family of funds (RVT, RGT, RMT). I will try and pick off the value fund's undervalued stock...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/royce-value-trust-nyse-rvt-145300068.html

#21     Oct 9, 2020
  2. .sigma

.sigma

Here’s a few more to fuel this thread.

“MIDAS Technical Analysis: A VWAP Approach To Trade Today’s Markets” by Andrew Coles

“Option Math For Traders” by Scott Nations

“Evidence Based Technical Analysis: Applying The Scientific Method And Statistical Inference For Trading Signals” by David Aronson

“The Evaluation and Optimization of Trading Strategies” by Robert Pardo

#22     Oct 10, 2020
    zghorner likes this.
  3. zghorner

zghorner

What level of mathematical understanding would someone have to possess to fully digest “options math for traders”?

#23     Oct 10, 2020
  4. .sigma

.sigma

basic arithmetic and understand stochastic processes, differential equations. But honestly the math is more for academia, the book is about option theory more than anything, so it’s a good study regardless of the mathematics.

#24     Oct 10, 2020
    zghorner likes this.
  5. zghorner

zghorner

I’ll add it to my list thank you.

#25     Oct 11, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  6. #26     Oct 16, 2020
    zghorner likes this.
  7. zghorner

zghorner

#27     Oct 16, 2020
  8. zghorner

zghorner

Has anybody else read Spitznagel's The Dao of Capital? Im about 80% through it now and unless these last few chapters are mind blowing I will have to describe it as a pass. I got the idea off of a PTJ recommended reading list and have extracted a few golden nuggets from it but unless you are really interested in the history of Austrian economics then I wouldn't suggest it.

A few things I did like:

The main idea of the book comes from his Mentor's Mantra: "You've got to love to lose money, hate to make money, love to lose money, hate to make money"...which essentially means love to take small losses, hate to cut your profits short. Mark then gives examples from nature (conifer trees) of how sacrificing the quick & easy way in order to profit big in the future is the best practice. nothing really new here but i dig the mantra from the old pit trader.

I do very much like his ideas on how we perceive time. Apparently Einstein said "we should value the past, present, and future times equally". Mark basically says that the future is of equal value to the present yet we value the present moment highest because we have emotional attachment to it and cannot emotionally connect to our future selves...we KNOW how we feel now, but not later. So we tend to "live for today" giving in to desires that satisfy the present emotions all the while making life harder for our future self. The best example given here is human addiction...where we take the easy road and give in to "one more time" not realizing that our future selves will have just as difficult a time with it as our present...maybe even more difficulty as we slip further and further into the addiction.

It hasnt been a bad book, its very well written and edited and i have gotten something out of it, but overall i would have to give it a 6/10 so far.

#28     Oct 16, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  9. Hi, zghorner. It's good to see you're still in business. Confucius say "Man who buys puts and says 'Get rich or die' is prone to die poor."

#29     Oct 22, 2020
    zghorner likes this.
  10. zghorner

zghorner

Lol yea that was an eye opening experience to just exactly how much I suck at trading...like -70% in a month suck.

#30     Oct 22, 2020