What are your Trading Breakthroughs?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by mmm, Dec 5, 2003.

1. 777

Why do you prefer futures over stocks?

#281     Sep 17, 2017
  2. 777

Skeptical. I am curious if this poster still trades.

#282     Sep 17, 2017
  3. Bugsy

Bugsy

1) Continuously study the charts. If price action reverses look across the chart at that exact price point to understand why. Follow that price point high or low or close across the chart. What happened at that exact price point earlier on the chart? Was is support/ resistance? Breakout? Is this a rule of thumb? How often has this "rule" occurred?

2) Never keep your P/L on screen. If you are using risk management and trading your plan then seeing a loss or gain can only hurt you psychologically. Determine your risk. Determine your entry. Determine your exit. Make an OCO trade. If you are making longer intraday trades either move your stop to break even or manually trail your stop to a profit point and let the trade run.

3) Be reactive, not predictive. My biggest losses have occured when I knew the market was going to do something even though the probability was only about 50/50 or less, all because the market played me for a fool and I operated outside of my rules. It's one thing to fade a breakout with a proper stop, it's another to bet on a breakout because two amazing trend bars push right up to the prior high only for it to subtly reverse over a multitude of bars making it appear it might still break out while slowly boiling me like a frog. You made rules for a reason. Stick to them.

4) Trading based solely on patterns like Head and Shoulders, Cup and Handles, etc. is a sure way to lose money. I remember reading Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets years ago and thinking I was a TA genius now that I knew all of these great setups. Blew up my entire account in a month. There's more to trading then knowing chart patterns and setups.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    #283     Feb 16, 2022
    Leob, KCalhoun and deaddog like this.
  4. MotionX

MotionX

Well said mate!

#284     Feb 22, 2022
  5. Hi mmm,

Great topic! My biggest breakthrough came from research on Human and Market Cognitive Emotional Mismatches. We have created videos addressing two major issues that helped me and other traders:

1- Human-Market Cognitive Emotional Mismatches - Performance Pressure

2- Human-Market Psychology Conflicts - Loss Aversion

I hope these videos will be helpful.
    Happy trading!

#285     Jun 27, 2023
  6. %%
    Good practical profitable points;
    but requires realizing that since I'm not a mind reader, some intentions may not be known by me.:caution::caution:
    Actually once in my lifetime I thought I had a random move spotted.
    But my friend, loved to shop for produce, so the goal was spending time doing that + she simply did that,without making logical shopping moves like many men do:D:D.

#286     Jun 29, 2023