What happened to Nietzsche?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by thecoder, Nov 19, 2021.

1. thecoder

thecoder

I just discovered the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), ie. the guy who wrote the literary work 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra', ie. Richard Strauss's tone poem named after this book:

Can someone knowledgeable about him tell me what happened to him, ie. why he became mentally ill?
    Did he maybe attempted to come too close to God or was too arrogant, and thus was punished for this?

Seems also interesting:
    Will soon read the lengthy wiki page about him at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. 2rosy

2rosy

his sister disparaged him after his death. read his writings, not others about him

speedo and longandshort like this.
  3. thecoder

thecoder

Which book of him do you recommend?
    Unfortunately atm I don't have enough time to read any book, a summary or a video has to suffice.
    Do you mean the same sister (s.b.) who cared for him in his last 3 years:
    "
    In 1889, at age 45, he suffered a collapse and afterward a complete loss of his mental faculties. He lived his remaining years in the care of his mother until her death in 1897 and then with his sister Elisabeth Förster-Nietzsche. Nietzsche died in 1900.
    "

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

He is dead.

5. thecoder

thecoder

Yeah, obviously true :)
    But why was he punished so hard with such a mental illness. and by whom, by God, or by someone else...?

6. ph1l

ph1l

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18575181/
    upload_2021-11-19_9-39-5.png

thecoder likes this.
  7. thecoder

thecoder

ph1l, thx, very informative, appreciate it.

Do you, or anybody else, happen to know whether there were any noteworthy conspiracy theories circulating about his cruel fate? Before or after his death.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  8. lol I used to read nietzche to flirt with girls.

Nobert, WWarrior and thecoder like this.
  9. WWarrior

WWarrior

By all accounts he was a genius who later on became quite destructive and criticized everybody including Socrates ; therefore rejecting attempts at reaching objective truths and then I think developed multiple personalities and went mad .

thecoder likes this.
  10. 2rosy

2rosy

The one who went to utopia in Paraguay

#10     Nov 20, 2021