What-If China attacks Taiwan

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by earth_imperator, Aug 9, 2022.

1. wmwmw

wmwmw

It does n' t matter whether US is scared.
    It only matters if China really wants to take action.
    US did not dare to take a military confrontation with Russia in Ukraine, for fear of an unclear war.
    Nor it dare to confront China army in Taiwan for the same reason.
    There is no logic nor interest for US to take military action against China in Taiwan.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    #51     Aug 11, 2022
    earth_imperator likes this.
  2. VicBee

VicBee

Did you mean unclear war, or nuclear war?
    In conflict there's an escalation process. In the case of Ukraine, for example, NATO and the US are staying out of direct conflict because Ukraine is not a NATO member and it doesn't have a defense agreement with either. Sending troops in Ukraine would be considered an escalation with greater ramifications. You will note that the US has also expressedly requested that Ukraine doesn't shell Russian territory, for the same reason.
    However, the US and NATO are openly arming Ukraine to show Russia that it can and will escalate to prevent a takeover of the country and to support Ukraine's efforts to push Russia out of its territory. Russia is refraining from expanding its conquest beyond the land they sought to control.
    This is deemed an acceptable status quo, the result of the weeks to come will determine the future of this war. If Russia decides to expand the scope of its conquest, you can be sure that the west will respond accordingly.

#52     Aug 11, 2022
  3. It can only be a typo: he surely means nuclear war.

#53     Aug 11, 2022
  4. wmwmw

wmwmw

I meant nuclear war.
    My logic is if you admit the reasoning for not to confront Russia army in Ukraine, then there is much less logic to confront China Army in Taiwan.

#54     Aug 11, 2022
  5. Yes, very true. Just append also "Q.E.D." to your above statement of logical proof of reasoning. :D

#55     Aug 11, 2022
  6. VicBee

VicBee

My earlier point was your answer. There is no confrontation with Russia because the situation hasn't escalated to that level. But don't think for a second that NATO and the US won't respond in kind if Russia was to bomb a NATO country.
    The same will be with China. The US has defense agreements with several countries in Asia, including Taiwan. An attack on Taiwan will trigger a military response from the US Navy and Air Force and immediate international sanctions against China.

#56     Aug 11, 2022
  7. BS. US can militarily do nothing :) B/c it would then risk its own annihilation in just 30 minutes. Puff!...

And: US since Nixon's time has agreed that Taiwan belongs to China.
    The US currently supports Taiwan only b/c it fears China's meteoric rise, b/c then China will dethrone the US from being #1. Ie. b/c out of very egoistic reasons. To slow the process.
    But it's an inevitable process that the US will fall behind China. Just swallow this sweet pill and get over it... :)

Ok, sanctions yes, the US is world champion in sanctioning others and thereby shooting in the own foot. :D

#57     Aug 11, 2022
  8. %%
    I did feel a bit sad when USa went to a big debtor nation;
    but profit driven goals are still fine+ over ruled that.
    Just don't be as stupid as chicoms + kill all the sparrows\oops now the grasshoppers ate enough grain to starve 30-40 million people.[WSJ old news= still helpful+ wiser]
    Oversize chicom commie egos do help insure an inferior way.................................

#58     Aug 11, 2022
  9. ET180

ET180

I stated an opinion and backed it up by fact. Anyone can verify that for themselves. China acting with hostility towards weaker countries (Canada, Australia) which pose no security threat to them is reckless and dangerous. They are becoming a bully and stand in the way of a peaceful resolution in Ukraine by backing Russia. Russia would not have invaded Ukraine without backing from China. Same case with North Korea. The irony is that while they want to forcefully unify Taiwan, they prop up North Korea in order to prevent a unified Korea. They want weaker competition even if it is not in humanity's best interest. The world should decouple from a country that behaves like that.

I agree that it comes down to a cost benefit analysis for China. And I should really say the CCP as that's who is making the decision. Not the average Chinese person on the street. A large part of China, bigger than the US population, lives in poverty and cares more about where their next meal is coming from than invading Taiwan. One way to de-risk Taiwan would be to move critical semiconductor manufacturing outside the country. TSMC is currently building a large plant in Arizona to do that, but I fear it could be too late. I doubt TSMC's engineers want to leave the country, but ironically, that might be the best thing they can do to protect it. Maybe US and Europe offer some type of immediate guaranteed residency for qualified people similar to the H1B work visa program if an invasion takes place. All Taiwan can really do is change the cost-benefit analysis from CCP's perspective.

That's how you end up with a Hitler. Hitler was not satisfied after he captured Poland. He kept going. If Russian is able to successfully capture territory in Ukraine, or China capture Taiwan, why would anyone believe they would stop there. Those who fail to understand history are doomed to repeat it. You cannot appease a Hitler.

#59     Aug 11, 2022
  10. LOL @ this talk about America fighting a war vs China. How is this possible, when America can't even police the Woke city of Chicago? Are you kidding me or what?

And considering almost nothing is 'Made in USA' anymore, it's all 'Made in China' now, how long do you think even a paper-war is bound to last?

#60     Aug 11, 2022