What is the worst one day loss you ever had?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by midlifeguy, Aug 7, 2006.

1. lol, what...

#71     Oct 8, 2013
  2. bln

bln

Lost $62,000 in the two weeks then Lehman went bankrupt. I was short naked index puts selling Theta, say no more lol. That is my single largest trading loss.

I also lost a boatload on long term investments. $70,000 I have lost on a single investment over period of 3 years.

#72     Oct 9, 2013
  3. Pipflow

Pipflow

The biggest money which i have lost in one single day was $3000 in one single day and that was really very much upset for me.

#73     Oct 11, 2013
  4. Datradr

Datradr

Not about dollar value loss--it was about how funny and stupid this story is..

Back in 2005 or so...When Siri went all the up to 9 bucks then one day it tanked on the opening on huge volume...Keep in mind i mostly traded siri at the time because it had great volume...so someone in the office yells out "" holy crap i just got a price improvement on SIRI--he managed to get in and out...he was lucky because the real reason he got it was because of sticky quotes....so i bought a couple 5K shares(luckily only so little) to test it out...and of course the stock was already 30 cents below my price...got stopped out and had to go home for the day...needless to say i was angry --mostly at myself for being stupid..worst thing was that trading day was great and i could have made a killing had i not traded on the open....good times

#74     Oct 11, 2013
  5. The day my wife served me divorce papers for cheating on her with many prostitutes.

I lost a lot of money but this was back in the day when a man was a man. I knocked her teeth out and made her give me a gum job before leaving.

#75     Jan 25, 2014
  6. When I first started, I was trading single contracts in the futures markets. I took an $800 loss in a single day. Til this day, I can't justify taking that trade.

#76     Jan 25, 2014
  7. fk1028

fk1028

Loss $650,000 in one day week of Aug 8, 2011. Covered my naked SPX $10 option in which the next day became $0.30. The panic move is because of lack of experience. I was frozen for 3 days and then decided lightening never strikes twice. Get back on the horse and kept going. Took me 8 months to get back my 650K and then until today 2.5 yrs later, never lost a trade since. This 'learning fee' is a bit steep but turns out OK.

#77     Jan 28, 2014
  8. About Thirty Thousand Pounds.

#78     Feb 5, 2014
  9. @@##//

@@##//

about 5% of my account value. Interestingly this came the day after my best ever trading day. I came out all guns blazing the next morning and got burned. I now think I will take a day off to reflect and regroup following my next "big day".

#79     Feb 9, 2014
  10. zdreg

zdreg

what does it mean to short vol?

#80     Feb 25, 2014