What Programming Language For Trading Jobs ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Fundlord, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Fundlord

Fundlord

I am a finance student who could not get an internship this summer but instead of just cry about it I want to make myself more attractive to finance firms next year.

I plan to do this in two ways:

Learn financial modelling
    Learn a programming language

I can dedicate large amounts of time 6 hours a day is the goal.

Which language is most applicable to the finance industry ?

I see knowledge of C++, Java, Python on most of the advertisements for quant roles in new york, london etc

Which one should I start with and which one is most applicable if I wanted to develop my own trading strategy ?

2. 2rosy

2rosy

since you're a finance student just learn python. you dont even really need to know python that well just learn this library and you can do a lot: http://pandas.pydata.org/

alex314159 likes this.
  3. Fundlord

Fundlord

Would I have to learn a different language if I wanst a finance student, say a math/stats student etc ?

The goal of learning a programming language is so I am more attractive to financial institutions next year.

4. 2rosy

2rosy

no you would not need to learn another language. as a finance student you would probably come across as an idiot if you said (or thought) you knew java or c++

5. Fundlord

Fundlord

Why is that ?

My degree is Economics & Finance

From what I have researched java and C++ seem to be the most in demand skills.

6. K-Pia

K-Pia

Maybe Java & C++ seem to be the most in demand skills. But what if you apply to firms that ask Python or PHP ?

You can find what firms demand on their website. Target an area, browse for firms and see what's more in demand... You won't be hired by ET so don't ask here. Ask your employer, target & Know the demand.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  7. OptionGuru

OptionGuru

• Start with Python and learn additional languages when needed.
    • With Python you can get a program up and running very fast.
    • Python coding experience can be transfered to other languages - same goes for Java, C++, PHP, etc.

:)

8. jj90

jj90

Learn the basics of coding. The language you choose doesn't really matter, but you'd likely want to use an easier language like Python to start.

cdcaveman likes this.
  9. Turveyd

Turveyd

I'm a coder, Python is just NASTY it's like going back 30years in time, it's a learning start language only IMHO, got Java, C++, PHP personally.

I do VB6 and VB.NET but I'm old and don't trade for business, just what evers quickest.

10. Fundlord

Fundlord

There seems to be 5 times as much jobs for C++ as there is for python so obviously its what firms are looking for these days.

Anyone know how long it takes to become proficient ? Just downloaded C++ for dummies it has over 800 pages in it.

#10     Jun 20, 2016