What would you say belongs in a solid trading plan?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by easymon1, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Set the Exit rule in the trading plan!
    Most traders make the error of focusing the majority of their attention on seeking buy signals while paying very little focus to when and where to exit.

#91     Jul 7, 2022
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Very true. I tell my traders, exits are much more important than entries. How to trail stops, when to go to cash is important.

Example: let's say a stock runs from $12 to $18 during two weeks, then drops back down. It doesn't matter where you bought during the run up, as long as you recognized $18 resistance and sold as soon as it reversed back down. You could've bought $12 or $14 etc, entry didn't matter, so long as you sold near $18

#92     Jul 7, 2022
    murray t turtle and SimpleMeLike like this.
  3. Good Morning KCalhoun,

Just my opinion, since we are discussing. Mentally I find easier to just pick a profit target and wait for it to be hit. Trailing stops was causing the shoulda coulda woulda over thinking before and after trades.

Full Disclaimer: I am ONLY a consistent profitable trader for 2 months now. Please see my comments as my opinions only. I have zero proof of anything I say longer than 2 months. My comments are probably worth a penny with a hole in it or the dog poop at the dog park.

#93     Jul 7, 2022
  4. True, having a proper exit trading strategy is really important or else it can lead to heavy losses. Traders should prefer using stops or trailing stops while placing your trades.

#94     Jul 8, 2022
  5. Merevez

Merevez

Imo, having a definite position sizing is also an important aspect in a trading plan. An appropriate position size can help in minimising the losses and maximising the profits if done properly.

#95     Jul 8, 2022
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  6. Imo, the main component of a trading plan is the well calculated risk management and defining the stop.

#96     Jul 11, 2022
  7. All the components of a trading plan are important. From predefining stops to the appropriate sizing of the position are important. Traders must seek to have a trading plan in which his trading capital is at least risk.

#97     Jul 12, 2022
  8. easymon1

easymon1

#98     Sep 8, 2022
    Sekiyo likes this.

9. Serendipity in spades ...........

thread started the week of corona virus market greatest/fastest crash of all time.

I'll therefore say just 2 things are needed

(1) Top-notch market timing skills par excellence

(2) Deep pocket = outstanding Capitalization and then some

#99     Sep 9, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. the magic of the 8% stop loss: then he'd get back break-even point with 8% gain.
    1) if one lets loss to drop further down like 10%, then it means he'd need to make 12% in order to break even.
    2) if one lets loss to drop down to -17%, then it means he'd need to make 21% to get back to the break even point.
    just purely statistics

[​IMG]

#100     Sep 9, 2022