what's better to have 5m airplane or 64 foot yacht?

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by viruscore1, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Probably can. Lots of MIG19s in private hands in the US, I understand. One trip I made on the Nosac Ranger, in I guess the mid to late 90s, we carried what looked like a significant portion of the East German air force to the US, presumably for private sale. No big stuff, all fighters I think. I am thinking they were all sold privately. No contact with the shipper, I just stood my watch. Just another cargo. At least one Harrier is in private hands, as well.

Better own a few oil wells if you want to do more than just wash and wax and admire that F-16, though. I imagine they are gas guzzlers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...llion-2019-1&usg=AOvVaw28BmVvMD5m6ML-9BjzUOxa

#51     Aug 17, 2019
  2. The reason for the 5m budget, everything else is taken is care of. Manhattan condo, Miami Beach condo, Hamptons vaca home. And a min 5000 sqft home somewhere else, you chose. Limo service to the airport. Fly business class or better, occasional netjet. Access to Personal shopper. You get the picture.
    The 5m cash is just madness money. aka pocket change. Not for mere mortals.
    I'd be quite happy with 5-10m. I'd have a 300k yacht and be done with it. Imagine the headaches managing all the properties and toys ...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    #52     Aug 17, 2019
  3. tango29

tango29

Yea, at the moment oil wells may not be the answer for the ongoing expenses, but definitely something along those lines.
    There are quite a few foreign military aircraft being operated in the US. You can you can go get rides for a nice sum, as well as outfits that train people in them to get type rated in the particular models. I do believe for US military aircraft there are different regulations about the purchasing and operation. I think I understood you had to get special permission for the modern era fighter aircraft and it was hard to come by, and normally the aircraft are from a foreign nation that is selling them and not direct from the US military, at least ones in operating condition. The Harrier was brought over from England and that guy has had to jump through numerous hoops and regular checks to keep operating it.
    Anyway at this point they are out of the budget if not by price outright, then the upkeep.
    I remember quite a few years back a guy had gotten a F-86 and was checked out in it. He went to take off and lifted off at too low a speed and then couldn't get out of ground effect and buried into a restaurant just off the airport. There is a reason to be highly trained in those kind of aircraft.

#53     Aug 17, 2019
  4. Extreme sailing

#54     Aug 18, 2019
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

6. Boredom is good, if the alternative is sheer terror.

#56     Aug 19, 2019
    viruscore1 likes this.
  7. May there be many boring days on the yacht

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    #57     Aug 19, 2019
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

You mean like falling from the sky with your 5MM airplane?

#58     Aug 19, 2019
  9. tango29

tango29

Or do you mean like driving down the street and the clown next to is too busy with their f***ing phone to realize they are drifting into you. Or the asshat who just has to blow through the red light and plows into the vehicles with the green. Both those happen daily around here, but haven't seen a plane fall out of the sky for a few days now. Although am interested to read what the heck the pilots of Earnhardt's plane screwed up.

#59     Aug 19, 2019
  10. #60     Aug 20, 2019