What's Wrong with Canada?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by shortie, May 25, 2011.

Does Canada Have Bright Future?

1. Absolutely

64 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Maybe

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. No

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Very true!

#51     May 26, 2011
  2. The only serious long-term threats are:

- invasion from resource-hungry neighbors
    - failure of global warming and return to Little Ice Age conditions
    - the ups and downs that typically come with resource-based economies

Overall, Canada is extremely well positioned for a post-peak-oil world.

#52     May 26, 2011
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmm...You and I must not be familiar with the same small towns. I'd bet 98% of people in this country lock their doors at night, when they go to work, etc.

#53     May 26, 2011
  4. So you are also aware of the Auditor General's comments regarding this draft? About how an initial draft goes through many revisions, and the final product usually looks much different than the initial draft? You may wish to argue about rumors and speculation, but I prefer to wait for the real data to be released before coming to conclusions.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said spending a few bucks on the photo opp at the G8/G20 summit is a drop in a large bucket. I never said spending in general is unimportant. Stop misinterpreting me. Nobody hates big government more than I do.

#54     May 26, 2011
  5. BSAM

BSAM

In the U.S. people can play golf and ski in the same day, quite frequently...well, I'm talking about water skiing.:)

#55     May 26, 2011
  6. dalen

dalen

haha well i'll attempt all 3 next time! All things aside, Canada is a pretty stable country at this time because of its resources. As a nation, the problems are what Ghost wrote - small population, low birth rate, and aging demographics.

Problems for where I live (Vancouver) is cost of living compared to wages is becoming unreachable for a large percentage of British Columbians. The housing market is still steaming along because of wealthy foreigners being able to afford our parabolic housing market. The average home owner in Greater Vancouver dumps more than 70% of household income just to their mortgage. Maybe we'll finally see some sort of correction when interest rates begin to rise.

Anyways some good info here http://canadabubble.com/

#56     May 26, 2011
  7. Neutering would be a better option.

#57     May 26, 2011
  8. Max E.

Max E.

Canadas biggest worry is probably the U.S. going broke.

#58     May 26, 2011
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Indeed, I've heard spokesmen for the AMA assure us all of that many times. :D

#59     May 26, 2011
  10. Exactly. You're keeping an open mind until the report is released. Unless, of course, it shows wasteful spending (which the draft already did), then it doesn't matter anyway.

So heads you win, tails I lose. You can see how intellectually dishonest that is, of course.

#60     May 26, 2011