When Will They Release Options on Micro Futures?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by newwer, Jan 28, 2020.

1. newwer

newwer

Since micro futures are such a huge hit, any word on when options on the micros will be released?
    I think the success of the micros far exceeds anyone expectation. And options on the micros may be even a bigger success.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I just called the CME. No plans in the near term.

3. newwer

newwer

Thanks for the call.
    That seems really odd. The CME and brokers are probably printing money on the Micros. Size is 1/10th of Minis but commissions/fees is only 1/5th.
    Adding options should be super easy.
    I guess we'll have to wait until 2021.

athlonmank8 likes this.
  4. I agree that MES/MNQ options would be absolutely amazing. Would cannibalize SPY/QQQ options?

5. bln

bln

There's XSP index options from CBOE, which is equal to SPY.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Micro futures are basically bucket shops, so it would be difficult to have actual options on them.

7. gaussian

gaussian

I don't understand why you need them. If you need to reduce your margin load use verticals on SPX/ES/YM/whatever. This is probably why CME has no intention of releasing them.

8. Verticals are not fun to trade. Besides, is it a free market or a "we know what's good for you" market (don't answer that.)

9. minmike

minmike

Why micros over spy, etc?

athlonmank8 likes this.
  10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Futures have better margin and are 1256 contracts-no wash sales, Market to market, profits are 60% long term / 40% short term.

#10     Jan 28, 2020
    athlonmank8 and Overnight like this.