Where do the Top Traders Trade?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by pokerplaya, Jan 27, 2009.

1. So I have visited about 8 prop firms in NYC because I am trying to get trained by the best in the business. It seems most of these places say they train you but in reality they sit you between 2 Traders who are right out of school and have no idea what they are doing. I realize most top traders at prop firms don't waste their time with training and the the so called mentors are either losing traders themselves, don't trade at all, or are making money but not much. I want to sit next to a senior trader making at lest mid 6 figs and someone who has put up those numbers for a few years. Do these guys exist? I have no problem setting up a profit split and overrides I just want to learn from the best. I realize how tough it is to make it in this business and I don't want to make it tougher by sitting on a desk with people that don't know what they are doing. Please PM me if you are a Top trader interested in training or if you know of someone who may be interested.

2. NKNY

NKNY

Good luck... Hard to find...

Which places did you visit and did you like any of them.

Pros/cons .. I'm about to start visiting shops in a couple of weeks and I'd love to hear and eventually compare notes...

Nick

3. I visited most of the usual suspects in NY. Some of these places may have great Traders, I just didn't meet them. It seems the people running the "training" are not trading anymore or they are barely making it looking for some extra income through training. A couple places seemed to be run by some good traders but the set up is such that you are placed among a sea of Traders most of whom have been Trading only a few months (and will be replaced by new "trainees" once they blow through their capital contribution) and those are obviously not people you want to be sitting next to if you want to learn from the best.

4. J J aapl

J J aapl

i know some great traders... but they all trade from home... pm me and i can point u in some direction

5. JB3

JB3

It's kinda like med school. The great traders only pick from the cream of the crop. They are not going to waste their time. So you probably have to start from the weeds, and if you can make it through the first few months...then you might get that opportunity.

6. dve250

dve250

So really what you're looking for is for a successful trader to hold your hand and guide you to the promised land of trading.
    Maybe he can share with you all his methods so you can start to make a million your first year of trading. Am I getting this straight? You should have no problem finding that.

7. I kinda of have to agree with dve250. What would be in it for a really good trader to take you under his/her wing right away. I wish it were a common thing but most good traders seem to have that social Darwinist attitude. And I am not saying that is a good thing. I will agree with a previous poster and say survive and show a great attitude maybe then one of the senior traders will notice and mentor you a bit. Keep us posted and I wish you much success.

8. Hey pokerplaya, yes, you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how a prop firm operates. Have a bunch of newbies who don't know what they are doing, straight out of college, sitting together, blowing up, and every few weeks, a new group of faces shows up, and the same thing happens again! In the meantime, the few heavy hitters sit somewhere else, just minding their own business.

9. lescor

lescor

Think about it for a moment. If you were making > $1 million a year trading how much would you have to be offered before you'd put the time and effort into training someone?

$10,000 is just noise... $50,000? Maybe that'd start to get your attention. But really, just for kicks or because your manager asked you to?... Don't expect much.

You gotta know someone who'll help you because they like you or they're related to you.

777 likes this.
  10. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

big time traders with lots of money say 10 million in capital

don't give a fuck about daytrading for pennies.

QUOTE]Quote from pokerplaya:

So I have visited about 8 prop firms in NYC because I am trying to get trained by the best in the business. It seems most of these places say they train you but in reality they sit you between 2 Traders who are right out of school and have no idea what they are doing. I realize most top traders at prop firms don't waste their time with training and the the so called mentors are either losing traders themselves, don't trade at all, or are making money but not much. I want to sit next to a senior trader making at lest mid 6 figs and someone who has put up those numbers for a few years. Do these guys exist? I have no problem setting up a profit split and overrides I just want to learn from the best. I realize how tough it is to make it in this business and I don't want to make it tougher by sitting on a desk with people that don't know what they are doing. Please PM me if you are a Top trader interested in training or if you know of someone who may be interested. [/QUOTE]

#10     Jan 28, 2009