Where to buy the most expensive tasty meats

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by viruscore1, Apr 5, 2019.

1. mlawson71

mlawson71

It's amazing how this meat is so finely marbled (and so heavily marbled too) with fat that it needs no resting and can be cut right there on the grill.

#121     Oct 8, 2019
    viruscore1 likes this.
  2. %%
    YES;
    tuna is still cheaper than wild caught salmon, where i buy it. Besides, fish really is brain food.............................................................................................................

#122     Oct 11, 2019
  3. mlawson71

mlawson71

It's much better for one's heart too, compared to meat.

#123     Oct 12, 2019
  4. Why most expensive? Go to Mortons or Peter Luger every now and then and you are good. For daily or weekend needs your supermarket is your best friend. Eat local all the time, when travelling eat what's good there. I never ever ate a Japanese dish in my life outside Japan (other than home cooking by my Japanese wife) , but then I lived there for over 10 years, have Japanese inlaws, and travel to Japan 2-3 times a year. I eat great sausages when in Germany, good steaks in the US and Australia. It just makes life more enjoyable to me, because I treat local culinary artisans and their creations with the utmost respect and hence look forward to traveling and eating the best of the best in the world at very reasonable prices because I eat locally. Even the food at Nobu outside Japan looks gross to me, commercial and not arranged with beauty and balance in mind but a commercial motivation rooted in greed. Fish and seafood in generally can rarely be beaten outside of Japan.

Of course if one can't taste the difference then that's like throwing pearls to pigs. No shame in that, I also don't taste the difference between good wine that costs 20 dollars vs one that is priced at 250 or more.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    #124     Oct 14, 2019
  5. maxinger

maxinger

[​IMG]
    my favorite spicy Buffalo wing.

follow by cool Aloe Vera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#125     Oct 15, 2019
  6. Been there, you should treat yourself you'll taste the difference

#126     Oct 15, 2019
  7. Think of it as art is for your eyes and soul. High end food is for the eyes, senses, soul and also for the palate. Plus it's nourishing and not as expensive ...

#127     Oct 15, 2019
  8. Most of the best food in Japan outside home I have eaten at very conventional restaurants at conventional (for Tokyo) price levels. For example I have a particular sushi restaurant that costs around 65usd for 2 people. The balance of atmosphere, food quality, food arrangements and customer service beats most places I have been that charge 100-300 usd per person. Higher prices, "high end", hip in Japan often, in fact most of the times, is not the best. Many Japanese restaurants and cooks who really care still pride themselves at wanting to serve ordinary people, not high flying clientele. Big difference with the US where the ugly side of capitalism is reflected in many companies and establishments charging whatever they think they can get away with.

#128     Oct 15, 2019
  9. mlawson71

mlawson71

Why do you think the food in the high end restaurants is not as good?

#129     Oct 15, 2019
  10. I was referring to restaurants that are all about commercial success and maximization of profits in the high end.

Because it feels commercial and not natural anymore. For several reasons, specific high end restaurants seem to push menus that result in larger profit margins for the reataurant. That causes many seasonal dishes and delicacies to miss out in favor of high priced ticket items. Then it draws a very specific crowd, if you enjoy sitting around mostly yuppies and wannabes then be my guest. I don't enjoy it. Neither do most Japanese. In fact many of the best restaurants in the world in Kyoto who have been awarded Michelin stars have refused to accept the nomination and returned the award because they don't want to be listed in Michelin's guide. Many of the best restaurants in Japan still only accept patrons that were personally referred and I think that is partly a good thing. They don't want to have to deal with people who might not absolutely appreciate the hard work and art that goes into preparing dishes. I absolutely laud the decision of many restaurants to not worship mammon but instead only admit guests who put in the effort and appreciation to go above and beyond to dine there. All other restaurants cater to everyone regardless of money. No matter how rich the person, he or she does not get preferential treatment because of money or fame.

Newly rich are absolutely despised in Japan. Anyone who shows an attitude because he or she is better than others merely because he or she has more money in their account is disrespected and ostracized. One of the last places on earth where money does not buy everything. I absolutely support preserving that.

Want to know what happens when money buys everything? Watch this segment of Bill Maher from last week. Perhaps his best piece of his career:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    #130     Oct 15, 2019
    mlawson71 likes this.