where would you get very basic futures trading training?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Nick Nikolo, Aug 14, 2021.

1. ChaelBu

ChaelBu

I spend a lot of time in Investopedia and i think is a good starting point.

#11     Aug 15, 2021
  2. Handle123

Handle123

You might consider contacting Bob Morse as he is a broker at Lightspeed and member of ET.
    Chart setup, order placement etc is different at each broker. Other areas you have questions of hedging futures, at least for me is part of my "edge", am guessing that others who trade futures/hedged long time will not offer much information cause much amount of backtesting, expense of buying option data and knowledge.

Just cause if you go by overnight margins on futures does not mean to load on all the leverage like many do, whatever the exchanges/brokerages use as margins, I use much higher amount of 40% of contract size. And like Lumber, it does not have options.

Since many of futures trade nearly 24 hours, often times largest risk is Friday's close to Monday morning, can always hedge that or leg into a futures spread near Friday's close. Markets that do not trade 24 hours, well, avoid., always do spread trading.

Open LLC business then open brokerage, you can turn your 401k into LLC, reduce risk of losing home.

I know of couple of guys who "lost it all" from continued limit moves in Lumber and Coffee. Lost their homes, wives and children. Thirteen days of limit down with expanded limits tough to recover.

Much luck.

#12     Aug 15, 2021
  3. destriero

destriero

Options on ags, meats, grains, etc., trade when the futures are pegged limit. You can trade the synthetic futures in the options. The market in the synthetic will tell you where the futures are trading (beyond the limit in futs). The equity FOs do not trade when circuit breakers are hit.

There was a guy on here that was posting paper trades as real and made the mistake of posting he had covered his short in LC when it was limit up... unfortunately for him the market in the vol implied a price more than three handles away from where he said he'd stated that he'd covered (at limit).

#13     Aug 15, 2021
    Bastion_01 and KevinBB like this.
  4. Youtube, books, ebooks, Google is the best places to learn and you can also use and open a demo account to do the practice.

#14     Aug 15, 2021
  5. Futures trading is simple, it is also relatively cheaper as the spreads are almost nil.
    Having an understanding of the Cash price and options prices is useful but not necessary to make some money every day. Personally, the way I avoided being caught in a cascading market that hit 3 limits a day during the 2020 covid crash was to do what everyone else did. Day trade, don't go into the night with exposure or hedge. Just closeout. Then wait for the Initial Balance and start over. Or ignore if the VIX is at 80
    I remember paying to learn about how to get started in futures trading and imho once you've paid, you quickly realise that it is exactly the same as any other trading, but comes with a lot of leverage. So the best advice is with your new futures account, trade micros. Then when you are comfy placing an order on the software, just build up to your regular trade size.

#15     Aug 16, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.