which scripting lang would you learn

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by easymon1, Apr 30, 2021.

1. easymon1

easymon1

From ground zero, If you were looking to build out some scripts for backtesting some simple strategies, which scripting lang would you learn.
    How
    Where

2. kmiklas

kmiklas

Python, Kotlin, R

3. easymon1

easymon1

anything different for automating stratagies?

4. JSOP

JSOP

For scripts, EasyLanguage. For programs, C#.

5. Python seems to be a good choice, as it is still widely supported. The only issue with "strategies" -- you need to know what you really want! (I think some of us still guess at what we really want, if we are honest)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  6. Easylanguage is remains "closed" correct? No way to integrate with other APIs/languages? Correct?

7. kmiklas

kmiklas

Respectfully disagree. EasyLanguage is specific to Tradestation, and C# is a more comples OO language generally for Microsoft-specific stuff.

curiousGeorge8 likes this.
  8. JSOP

JSOP

Correct. EasyLanguage is a scripting language, very high level. OP asked what would be a good language for building some scripts for backtesting so I recommended EasyLanguage as it's really easy to learn, just like what its name says.

9. themickey

themickey

A better question to ask imo is how easy or difficult is it to build an automated trading system?

You would need to clarify with information on your current coding skills, what instruments you wish to trade, what software / trading platform and hardware you intend to use, that you are currently profitable with a mechanical type system, what level of automation (full or partial), what are you wanting to automate (the actual broker placing of trades or instrument timing/selection).

My understanding, for a retail at home trader, going fully automated is nigh on impossible.
    By the time you have bought hardware, software, data, security and done your coding with all bugs removed, it will take years and in that time you have missed out on a good chunk of actual manual trading.

10. #10     Apr 30, 2021