Which way? Gold.

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by themickey, Aug 20, 2019.

1. themickey

themickey

upload_2021-9-18_6-25-26.png
    Gold does what gold does best, behaving like an annoying twat that it is.
    When you give up on it, then it behaves.

#351     Sep 17, 2021
  2. Biko

Biko

Gold Stocks (represented below by the HUI - black line chart) are diverging against the actual gold price. This makes me feel that investors are selling gold stocks because they believe the gold price will fall.

upload_2021-9-20_22-17-32.png

In this video, I analyse the latest Sell Down in Gold Stocks and discuss Considerations for Investors in the Gold Sector:

#352     Sep 20, 2021
    themickey likes this.
  3. themickey

themickey

Thanks for video which I watched.
    The reality and forgetting about emotions on gold, is that gold is an underperformer.
    Why would one really bother with it?
    The way I see it, there is way too much media hype which is never ending about gold.
    Below is a comparison on performance, 20 years.
    upload_2021-9-21_1-19-0.png
    From top to bottom:
    QQQ (blue) 837%
    Gold cash (green) XAUUSD, 173%
    Newmont Gold (brown) 3%
    GDX (black bar chart) Vaneck Gold Miners ETF, minus 22%

#353     Sep 20, 2021
  4. Biko

Biko

Thanks very much for watching themickey,
    Yes, the NASDAQ has had an amazing run in your chart period.
    upload_2021-9-21_22-39-43.png
    However, changing the timeframe puts gold in front

upload_2021-9-21_22-41-59.png

Now, the NASDAQ is made up of the biggest tech stocks and is rebalanced every year to only include the strongest companies and lose the weakest. So you could say an index like this would have an advantage over a metal like gold which doesn't have much industrial purpose. So thinking about that, gold as an investment has actually performed very well in my opinion. Now, I'm not saying it's the best investment. I'm just saying I understand why it's attractive as an investment to many people. All the best.

#354     Sep 21, 2021
    themickey likes this.
  5. themickey

themickey

Jewelers sell $1 gold online as Indians warm up to internet buys
    Bloomberg News | September 29, 2021 | 9:06 am Markets Asia Gold
    https://www.mining.com/web/jewelers-sell-1-gold-online-as-indians-warm-up-to-internet-buys/
    [​IMG]
    Image: Pixabay

Jewelers in India have started selling gold for a little over $1 online after the pandemic upended sales, forcing them to reassess traditional ways of doing business.

Sales crashed last year in the second-biggest consumer after a nationwide lockdown shuttered stores across the country. But it also led to a bump in India’s nascent market for online gold sales. That’s pushed jewelers such as Tata Group’s Tanishq, Kalyan Jewellers India Ltd., PC Jeweller Ltd. and Senco Gold and Diamonds to launch offers to sell gold for as little as 100 rupees ($1.35) either directly on their websites or through tie-ups with digital gold platforms. Consumers can take delivery once they have invested enough for at least 1 gram of gold.

Digital gold sales aren’t new to India, with mobile wallets and platforms like Augmont Gold For All, and World Gold Council-backed SafeGold offering the product. Jewelers had so far shied away from selling such products online, restricting them to their stores as the bulk of purchases in India are still made in person.

“Covid, obviously, has changed the mindset of a lot of jewelers and they have also been proactive in selling jewelry online. So this is just the extension of the whole mindset,” said Ketan Kothari, director at Augmont Gold, which has more than 4,000 jewelers as partners.

Festive demand
    The jewelers have launched the offers just as the festive season begins in India, when gold demand peaks. Digital purchases are rising as more Indians warm up to buying via the internet. That, along with a more technology-friendly, younger generation of consumers is expected to boost the sector.

“We have been witnessing a renewed interest among consumers, especially youngsters, who are looking to make systematic investments in the yellow metal,” according to Ramesh Kalyanaraman, executive director at Kalyan Jewellers.

While online gold purchases, which includes the sale of ornaments on jewelers’ websites, accounted for only about 2% of the overall sales value in 2019, the bulk of these transactions were made by people under the age of 45, according to a World Gold Council report last year.

A drop in gold prices has also boosted volumes on the platforms, said Gaurav Mathur, founder of SafeGold, said. People perceive the current gold prices to be low and they are more used to transacting digitally across categories and not just gold, he said.

“Since February last year, we have seen a 200% rise in sales on our platform with most consumers snapping up coins and bars in the range of 3,000 to 4,000 rupees,” Augmont’s Kothari said. “During the pandemic, buying gold in the digital form has gained immense popularity and we expect sales to increase by 20%-30% this festive season compared with last year.”

#355     Oct 3, 2021
  6. themickey

themickey

Gold’s Inflation-Haven Appeal Means ‘Violent’ Run-Up May Be Ahead
    By James Attwood 23 October 2021
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-see-violent-bullion-runup-on-inflation-risk

Garofalo expects gold to reach $3,000 in matter of months
    • McEwen sticks with $5,000 long-term call as currencies debase
    One after another, commodities from aluminum to natural gas have surged as pandemic aftershocks rattle supply chains. Gold could be next, although for very different reasons.

That’s the view of two of the biggest names in Canadian mining -- the former chiefs of Goldcorp Inc., David Garofalo and Rob McEwen -- who predict investors will catch on soon that global inflationary pressures are less transitory and more intense than central bankers and consumers price indexes suggest.......

Blah blah blab, heard this tune played a million times, like the 2nd coming of Christ.
    Not a month goes by without another fantastic moon shot prediction of how fuggin incredible gold will be and how miraculous, hallefuckinlujah. :)

#356     Oct 24, 2021
  7. themickey

themickey

Z.jpg

#357     Oct 24, 2021
  8. Ed48

Ed48

I've been hearing that broken record for the past 9 years.

#358     Oct 24, 2021
    themickey likes this.
  9. themickey

themickey

Jim Grant: "The Fed Reminds Me Of A Speculator On The Wrong Side Of The Market"
    https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/jim-grant-fed-reminds-me-speculator-wrong-side-market
    by Tyler Durden Saturday, Nov 20, 2021
    Authored by Christoph Gisiger via TheMarket.ch,

Jim Grant, editor of Grant's Interest Rate Observer, warns of the rampant speculation in the stock market. He worries that the central banks are underestimating the threat of persistently high inflation and explains why gold has a bright future.

........«The Fed reminds me of a speculator who is on the wrong side of the market», says Mr. Grant.
    The fact that the Federal Reserve is now beginning to taper its bond purchases makes little difference in his view.
    «It's like pouring a little less gasoline on the fire,» he thinks.....

......In this in-depth interview with The Market/NZZ, which has been edited and condensed for clarity, the outspoken market observer and contrarian investor compares today's environment with the second half of the 1960s and explains why he expects persistently high inflation rates. He explains what this means for the dollar as well as for gold, and where the best investment opportunities are with respect to the challenge of global warming.......

Question: "It’s also no secret that you are a passionate fan of gold. What’s your take on the precious metal at the current time?"

"I love it with the same intensity that I am frustrated by it, which is considerable. That is a rather poetic expression of my opinion. So let me get you a more down to earth answer: Gold is unusual in that it is kind of outside this speculative whirlwind. Gold mining stocks are perhaps at all-time cheap levels with respect to the S&P 500. Whether it’s yield you’re talking about, or free cash flow, or price to earnings, or profit margins: Gold mining shares are perhaps as cheap as they have ever been against the broad market. So gold is a little bit of an island of indifference in a boiling sea of gambling and speculation."

"When will gold shine again?"

"Gold is not what cryptos are, it’s not what NFTs are, it’s not what Tesla is. It is outside of a raging speculation and I think it will come into its own raging speculation when this great speculative episode, correctly called the Everything Bubble, bursts. But it’s not going to attract much interest as long as stocks are making daily new highs. So count me still bullish, but also very frustrated."

#359     Nov 20, 2021
  10. themickey

themickey

https://www.reuters.com/markets/com...s-dredging-rafts-amazon-tributary-2021-11-24/
    November 25, 2021 Commodities
    Gold rush draws hundreds of dredging rafts to Amazon tributary By Bruno Kelly

AUTAZES, Brazil, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Hundreds of dredging rafts operated by illegal miners have gathered in a gold rush on the Madeira River, a major tributary of the Amazon, floating hundreds of miles as state and federal authorities dispute who is responsible for stopping them.

The flotilla of rafts equipped with pumps are moored together in lines that nearly stretch across the vast Madeira, and a Reuters witness spotted plumes of exhaust indicating they are vacuuming the riverbed for gold.

"We counted no less than 300 rafts. They've been there at least two weeks and the government has done nothing," said Greenpeace Brazil activist Danicley Aguiar.

The gold rush, triggered by rumors that someone had found gold there, began as world leaders gathered for a United Nations climate conference in Glasgow, where Brazil vowed it had stepped up protection of the Amazon rainforest. read more

#360     Nov 25, 2021