Who are the idiots buying bonds for 1% interest?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Nexen

Nexen

You confusing bond investment with bond speculation. Ever heard of bond futures ?

#31     Aug 15, 2010

2. We will see how you will do on this trade. You are long bonds as of Friday 13, 2010. Time reveals everything in trading. From your tone, I have a feeling that the market might hit you on your nose, but I wish you a better fate.

#32     Aug 15, 2010
  3. Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Bill Gross, who runs the world’s biggest bond fund at Pacific Investment Management Co., reduced holdings of U.S. government-related debt in July as yields tumbled.

The company’s $239.3 billion Total Return Fund’s investment in the debt was cut to 54 percent of assets last month, from 63 percent in June, according to the website of Newport Beach, California-based Pimco. The share of emerging-market debt increased to a record 11 percent, from 10 percent. The fund also boosted mortgage debt to 18 percent, the most since September.

The fund has returned 12.8 percent in the past 12 months, beating 70 percent of its peers, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. It gained 1.95 percent over the past month, a performance superior to 78 percent of competitors. Pimco, a unit of the Munich-based insurer Allianz SE, managed $1.1 trillion of assets as of June 30.

Pimco’s U.S. government-related debt category can include conventional and inflation-linked Treasuries, agency debt, interest-rate derivatives, Treasury futures and options and bank debt backed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., according to the firm’s website.

Gross boosted the Total Return Fund’s mortgage composition in July from 16 percent in June. It increased its high-yield holdings to 4 percent, from the 3 percent level, and non-U.S. developed debt to 5 percent from 3 percent. It increased its net cash-and-equivalent position to negative 12 percent from negative 15 percent.

Eight-Month High

Gross boosted the fund’s composition of government-related debt to an eight-month high in June, following weaker-than- expected economic reports.

He said earlier this month that the Fed is unlikely to raise interest rates for two to three years as it seeks to keep the economy from slipping back into recession.

The Fed retained a commitment to keep its benchmark interest rate close to zero for an “extended period” of time in its statement on Aug. 10, holding the target lending rate for overnight lending between banks at zero to 0.25 percent.

“When you analyze that portion of the curve, it says the Fed is on hold for a long, long time,” Gross, said on Aug. 6 during a radio interview on “Bloomberg Surveillance” with Tom Keene. “When you get down to 50 basis points on two-years, that’s giving you a signal that there’s not much left on the table.”

Two-Year Note

Two-year note yields touched a record low 0.4892 percent on Aug. 11, a day after the central bank’s decision to reinvest principal payments on mortgage assets it holds into U.S. debt to support the economy.

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aowsLKb6uUcg

Mr. Gross has great success in talking his book. And the followers are laughing with him, too. 12.8 % is an excellent result taking nto consideration the pure size of PIMCO´s holdings. The cut in government expousre is self-explanatory. I will not call for a top in T Bonds, but the FED announcement to buy at the long end "helps" the exit strategy not only of PIMCO, it helps also to bring "cash" into the market which needs to be reinvested. As I understand Gross lately in an interview IG corporate debt is his next large investment target. Corporate America will need "it".

#33     Aug 15, 2010

4. from his site

Front-Running the Fed in the Treasury Market
    Antal E. Fekete

#34     Aug 15, 2010
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Let me try this one more time. As Bone correctly pointed out, traders get paid on price, not yield. YTM is useless as 99% of trader don't hold to maturity. They trade the cash and the futures, sometimes together. Most bonds funds, yes including corporate bonds funds are having their best years ever, some making close to 50% the last few years. Some of those high yield corporates were trading under 50 in 2008 and are now close to a double. Government bonds are on fire as well. The 30 year just traded a 132 handle. The bond longs are making a killing.

I was speaking about government and corporate bonds in general. As to the 3 year 1% paper IBM just put, has it not occurred to some of you that the CDS might have been trading at 50 basis points. And that someone was buying the 3 year paper to finance to swap? Basically owning the swap for free. Giving them a chance to make a killing if this market and economy weakens in the next 3 years? Do any of you guys ever think outside the box? This paper gets issued for many reasons.

Obviously there is an insatiable demand in the corporate paper now due to the large influx of money coming from corporate bond funds and bond ETF's that have to buy the paper. But the paper also facilitates hedging as well. Trust me, people are making money on it.

#35     Aug 15, 2010
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Hey Bone, you long any ZB as well? Just keeps going. Gotta love those yields. :)

#36     Aug 16, 2010
  7. bone

bone

I am actually long PIMCO overweight in the 401K and in the spec account futures options vis-a-vis a ZN bull spread ITM. I've started scaling modest profits by selling Dec 130 calls Friday, a few more today, looking for 128 in the ZN future to be all out the spec position in terms of positive deltas.

The 401K is long PIMCO and long commodities - dumb luck, both of them were not supposed to go up.

#37     Aug 16, 2010
  8. This argument doesn't make much sense - in order for a trader who buys bonds at < 1% yield to make money on price, he has to find someone else willing to buy them at an even lower yield. Even if multiple short term traders are involved, eventually someone has to hold the bonds to maturity.

What doesn't make sense is why that someone would be willing to accept a < 1% yield.

#38     Aug 16, 2010
  9. What is so especially heinous about <1% yield? I know I keep beating the same dead horse, but do you know where 3y JGB yield is? People are happily buying those at 15bps, so, to them, 1% might look like a bargain here.

#39     Aug 16, 2010
  10. What's so heinous is the risk-reward profile. If the bet comes right, and we have a lost decade, you make 1% on your capital. If you're wrong, and yields go up, you could lose 20% on price. Cash seems a far-superior position.

#40     Aug 16, 2010