Why can't I get a job? Recent Grad, 3.7 GPA, Good Exp, Year and a half of searching..

Discussion in 'Economics' started by INeedAJob, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Different eras. I started out with no college degree as a runner doing the low totem pole stuff eventually working the pits and moving on over the years. (retired now)

You cannot expect to walk in and get the topshelf work, you need to show you have the capacity to do any job the best you can even if it means fetching coffee and having orders barked at you. When you earn your respect and show the guys you can take the heat and do the work 100% you will see opportunities opening up.

Kids today expect that because they have a degree they are entitled to something.

#11     Sep 8, 2009
  2. I could not have said this better myself (also started as a runner...and the pay was sh*t...looking back I would not have done things any differently)

#12     Sep 8, 2009
  3. You're not alone.

My cousin works at Loyola and sees applicants from Harvard, Yale and just about every other Ivy League School applying for even low-paying positions, regardless of their degree (e.g. MBAs, etc.) or GPA, because they literally can't buy a job in the private sector.

#13     Sep 8, 2009
  4. You have a series 7, why not get a job as a stockbroker? Afraid to work without a salary? Try scottrade. They pay a salary + commission. (I think its like 35k per year they pay, then they split all the commissions that they make)

#14     Sep 8, 2009
  5. gaj

gaj

#15     Sep 8, 2009
  6. aegis

aegis

You shouldn't have majored in economics.

Get a masters in something else, perhaps operations research. Or consider joining the military as an officer.

#16     Sep 8, 2009
  7. aegis

aegis

It's not just finance jobs though. It's any job that isn't related to the health care industry. Even engineers are having a hard time.

Insurance companies aren't even hiring actuaries anymore. A few years ago, you didn't even need a degree to be an actuary. Just pass the first two exams and you were guaranteed a decent job.

#17     Sep 8, 2009
  8. Lethn

Lethn

"
    I think you should see this as an opportunity. If you are really a smart guy/gal, why not trading and make it a career. I got laid off from my job and since then I trade full time.
    The amount of money and satisfaction that I got is far above the regular job I was doing. "

This, I just recently failed completely in trying to get a job in the games industry after graduating from a diploma course. What I plan on doing is just getting any job and trade like crazy when I have enough until I can get the money I need to pay off a nice apartment for myself instantly.

That is of course assuming all the rumors I've been hearing about traders earning a ton aren't just a farce after that, well who knows?

If you understand the economy well enough then use it to your advantage. I'm sure most people who know bugger all about the economy that I've told this to think it's crazy but I'm not going to stay stuck in my parents' house or get in debt for the rest of my life just on the Feds' say so.

#18     Sep 8, 2009
  9. Exactly... and especially in this economy.

You also need to go where the jobs are, which means being willing to relocate and work in a field other than what you'd like.

#19     Sep 8, 2009
  10. aegis

aegis

You must have known before you started that you weren't going to find a job designing video games, especially from a diploma course. Those jobs go to people with CompSci degrees and are highly competitive. Everybody and their brother wants to design video games.

If you were smart, you'd forget trading all together and learn a different trade. I suggest medical equipment repair.

#20     Sep 8, 2009