Why can't I get a job? Recent Grad, 3.7 GPA, Good Exp, Year and a half of searching..

Discussion in 'Economics' started by INeedAJob, Sep 8, 2009.

1. it sounds to me like you exagerate a lot. You've really sent out thousands of resumes? That seems unlikely. Now ur complaining on the Internet about how hard it is for you. My guess is ur just one of those folks that rub people the wrong way. My 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

#21     Sep 8, 2009
  2. gaj

gaj

a collegiate friend of mine had a couple hundred rejection letters in the early 90s...

got hired, has done well for himself.

#22     Sep 8, 2009
  3. Thats a high competition job. Why not just design your own game and try to market it. The guy that made bejeweled (a very simple game) now has a company that does 20 million dollars per year in sales.

#23     Sep 8, 2009
  4. Just what I was thinking. Listen Pal, stop whining like an entitled duschbag. Emailing resumes is worthless. Pound the pavement, knock on doors. Feeling sorry for yourself?... consider this: The great salesman Bob Polski once had a heart attack on the road. After being shocked back to life he sold the paramedics 13 dozen steak knives and a set of non stick pans. That was Polski...

:cool:

ps. Try the Navy.

#24     Sep 8, 2009
  5. I was thinking the same thing when I read the post.

To the OP - so you have sent out maybe an average of 30-40 resumes every single week since you've graduated? And not even ONE callback? I have a hard time buying that. Where are you getting job listings from?

Do you send out cover letters with each resume? Do you personalize each cover letter explaining your education, grades, what you can do for the firm, etc.?

Remember that even getting some interviews setup isn't enough to guarantee a job, but if you are telling the truth about sending out 1,000s of resumes and not getting even 1 callback, there is something seriously wrong with who you are sending to, the first impression that they are getting (for whatever reason), or something else.

I really have to wonder about the advice you are getting also from people who are looking over your resume. Are you showing them the entire package (i.e. envelope, cover letter, etc). Maybe there is something funny about something.

JJacksET4

#25     Sep 8, 2009
  6. aegis

aegis

This isn't 1980. Most employers will only accept your resume if it's submitted electronically. I used to work in a retail outlet in college a few years ago, and my boss would rip up a paper resume if a random person just came in and dropped it off.

#26     Sep 8, 2009
  7. aegis

aegis

There's really nothing funny about anything. It's quite simple: NOBODY IS HIRING!

If Harvard and MIT grads can't find jobs, things are really fucked up. No cover letter in the world will help him, and he shouldn't take it personally as previously mentioned.

Join the Navy. Not sure if they're still recruiting though.

#27     Sep 8, 2009
  8. logikos

logikos

I am going to be very superficial here.

How tall are you? Are you good looking or homely? Are your interview suits pressed or wrinkled? Shoes polished? Do you have a firm handshake or are a limp wrist? Do you come across as somebody who is a go-getter in the interviews?

My bread and butter is IT, a graduate with a computer science degree in 1984. I have had amazing success in the industry, even when the economy has slumped for IT. I've had my own business since '97 and work 98% from home. I hear a repeated thing from my clients, "I trust you".

I am not being judgmental of your character or anything like that, so please don't take it that way. Often I wonder how I won the lottery thus far in my industry, but it just happened. There is just something that prospective employers liked, and it wasn't my GPA (3.2). Maybe something in my presentation of myself.

I know, very superficial, but often superficial wins the gig.

Best wishes to you.

#28     Sep 8, 2009
  9. aegis

aegis

There's one thing I'm confused about. You claim to have a Series 7 and Series 63. Don't those require sponsorship? So somebody must have hired you on unless you're lying.

#29     Sep 8, 2009
  10. #30     Sep 8, 2009