Why can't I get a job? Recent Grad, 3.7 GPA, Good Exp, Year and a half of searching..

Discussion in 'Economics' started by INeedAJob, Sep 8, 2009.

1. aegis

aegis

Well, as you mentioned, you graduated in 1984. There was absolutely no competition in 1984 for CompSci majors.

A relative of mine graduated with a CompSci degree in the early 90s and was heavily recruited by a Fortune 500 company. Her undergrad GPA was 2.1. She couldn't even program a "Hello World" message, but she had no problem getting a job.

Fact is, if you had graduated 25 years later, you wouldn't have been competitive with a GPA of 3.2. The reason why you were able to find work when the IT field slumped is likely because you already had at least 10 years of IT experience. In that case, the degree didn't matter nearly as much. You were born at the right time.

#31     Sep 8, 2009
  2. Welcome to the jobless recovery! My heart goes out to you. Have you tried social networking sites like Linkedin. They post job openings and if you have good Linkedin Referrals, recruiters will want to talk.

Also look at hiring a career coach.

#32     Sep 8, 2009
  3. Are you going for a finance related job?? Because if you are I’d get real comfortable in the computer chair sending out more resumes I think your forgetting that not only are you competing against the IVY’s but your also going up against the guys who have fallen on wall street I’m talking about the bitch boys of the firm all they way up to the architects. I’m not saying you’re not smart I’m just saying that don’t think you’re the only person out there with a degree looking for an econ/finance related job and feel your deserving because your GPA is somewhat high. Your going against the boys who have better schooling and who have been in the industry for 15+ years try not to overlook that…

As for a trading career I hope you learn or put that off because we don’t really want you back here blaming the other traders for messing up your trades when you’re clearly smarter than them and deserved that profit…

#33     Sep 8, 2009
  4. Hang in there pal. There are many out there with a lot more years under their belt in the same position. Figure out who you know, and ask for introductions to people they know. Have something interesting to say and keep networking. School, major and GPA mean little relative to meeting the right people and making a great impression.

#34     Sep 8, 2009
  5. Why can't I get a job?

Basically, the country has been sold down the river by the marriage of greedy business types with greedy political types.

As much as I dislike the boys and girls like Dingy Harry Reid, Nasty Nancy Pelosi, and Barry Obama, the sellout preceded them.

THERE IS NO JOB GROWTH IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR.

Learn how to KISS political ASS and you can probably find a DO NOTHING job in the public sector.

#35     Sep 8, 2009
  6. It has been a while since the OP posted here and no response from him yet that I've seen responding to anyones questions or comments.

No one is hiring - so I guess ALL of the job posts are just lies for some reason??!?!?! Just for the fun of it I went to efinancialcareers.com (I found the site on google "financial jobs" or something) - searched an L.A. zip code and found a listing from PIMCO - they only thing is they want 1 year experience, but other then that it sounds pretty starter level as long as there is a good education and a smart person. I mean, I found this in one minute.

http://jobs.efinancialcareers.com/job-4000000000550406.htm

Again, I have to think if he is honest about what he is saying, he must be doing something wrong.

OP - Are you listing salary requirements on your resumes? If so, what range are you listing? Some companies won't talk to you without them, but if your requirements are too high that could take you out of the running as well.

JJacksET4

#36     Sep 8, 2009
  7. There is your mistake right there. You are blindly sending out resumes. You should actively seek out the hiring managers. Call them up, leave messages and send emails. Go to recruiting events and insist on talking to them. Demonstrate to them a passion for wanting the job.

Dont expect to get an answer by shotgunning out a resume.

Next, before you go out and present yourself to them, ask a few friends for honest and frank advice on your presentation. Pitch to your friends first in a suit and tie. Tell them to give you a hard time and not to hold anything back.

Remember that oftentimes saying less is more. Never oversell yourself and carefully choose your words. Always sound positive and upbeat.

#37     Sep 8, 2009
  8. and how many resumes do you think PIMCO got for that ad? finding ads isn't hard, landing an interview is a bit more difficult. do not list salary requirements on your resume! i have never seen this on the thousands of resumes i have reviewed.

#38     Sep 8, 2009
  9. Sucks bro.

Im 22, which I assume is around your age, but I'm a trader. Never went to college.

Anyways if it were me, I would find a few places I REALLY wanted to work and I would go work there. Seriously, just show up every morning. Help with whatever you can. Or just stand there. Just keep showing up.

Or you can start your own business, which is way cooler :cool:

#39     Sep 8, 2009
  10. aegis

aegis

This has already been addressed in this thread. Aside from the fact that I think the OP if full of shit (he needed a sponsor to get a Series 7 and 63, but he claims to not have found a job since graduating), those jobs are going to experienced workers who have recently been laid off from other jobs. Employers are not going to hire a kid with no experience when they can easily find someone with 10+ years of experience who will work for the same salary.

#40     Sep 8, 2009