Why can't I get a job? Recent Grad, 3.7 GPA, Good Exp, Year and a half of searching..

Discussion in 'Economics' started by INeedAJob, Sep 8, 2009.

1. lindq

lindq

The best marketing tool you can use for yourself is an "informational interview". I used it very successfully when I first got out of school, and it was in the middle of a recession.

You are going to take advantage of the fact that you are just out of school and looking for good career advice.

Forget human resources and job postings. Work your contacts and the phone, and find department managers with target companies. When you get them on the phone, compliment the hell out of them ("You are so successful, etc, etc.) and tell them that you would appreciate a couple minutes to get some advice on how they built their career.")

Do NOT mention that you are searching for a job. Never. You want them to share their advice based on their wonderful, successful career, and even better if you have already talked with someone who this person knows, and they gave you their name. Anything you may have in common, use it. (Check alumni records from your school.)

People love to talk about themselves, and you need to give them an opportunity to do it. If you get in the door, and if they like you, they'll help if they can.

Keep at it, and never leave the phone or an appointment without getting referred to someone else.

#52     Sep 8, 2009
  2. From Stony Brook University Medical School website:

Admissions & Procedures...

The State of New York requires that all students admitted will have completed at least two years of college; however, few applicants without a baccalaureate degree are successful. Premedical course requirements include one year each of biology, physics, inorganic chemistry, and organic chemistry (all with lab), and one year of English. A basic course in biochemistry is helpful, but not required. The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) must be taken no later than the year prior to the year for which the student seeks admission. Foreign applicants must have completed at least one year of study in an American college or university.

The Committee on Admissions carefully examines each candidate's preparation and promise for creative work in medicine, regardless of the candidate's area of concentration prior to medical school. Applications from a wide variety of students with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and academic interests are encouraged, as well as from groups that have been historically under-represented in medicine. The majority of Stony Brook's applicants are residents of New York, however, out-of-state applicants are encouraged to apply.

The School of Medicine expects that each student admitted will complete the full curriculum of required courses and electives under the established School policies. Academic requirements for each year of medical school are available on the Office of Medical Education Webpages. Grades, MCAT scores, letters of evaluation, and extracurricular and work experiences are carefully examined. The candidate's motivation and personal qualifications, as indicated in the application, letters of evaluation, and a personal interview, also contribute greatly to the admissions assessment.

Prospective students are advised to consult the current edition of Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR), available at a cost of $25.00 plus $8.00 for postage and handling from:

Association of American Medical Colleges
    Publications Department
    2450 N Street, NW
    Washington, D.C. 20037
    Phone - (202) 828-0416
    Fax - (202) 828-1123
    Website http://www.aamc.org/

Since competition for any one school is keen, prospective applicants will profit from reading this book's overview of the medical school admissions process, as well as a description of the educational program of all accredited medical schools in the nation, including Stony Brook.

#53     Sep 8, 2009
  3. Trish

Trish

What works: Cultivating relationships. It's who you know (or try and get to know.) The people hiring like referrals. Call and follow up and offer to help them on their project. What are their needs?

Sending out resumes (through the internet) has a 4% success rate. I would think about starting up my own bs. if I were you.

How bad do you want anything? You'll find out. All life is what you are willing to do.

#54     Sep 8, 2009
  4. Since the OP never replied...

I'm sure this whole thing was for laughs.

Someone create another Thread, like

"Nobody is hiring, What to do?"

LOL

#55     Sep 9, 2009
  5. Lethn

Lethn

Hehe :p you've basically guessed my Plan B, this is why I'm going to just get any old job and hopefully trade my way to victory. Though I don't want to go through a publisher personally, those guys are utter assholes these days I'd really love to form my own indie company one day.

#56     Sep 9, 2009
  6. The government is always hiring!

I am seeing job opportunities left and right out here in MD. Maybe not as lucrative as you may have once dreamed of ...

but hang in there! lots of my friends are in the same boat

#57     Sep 9, 2009
  7. Thank you for all the replies! I have read them all, but there are allot so if I miss a question/comment please do not hesitate to repost it.

Originally I had wanted to be a Financial Analyst. There were lots of good paying and interesting jobs in the market when I was choosing my degree. Now would gladly take anything that will keep me in tune with the markets, and would settle for anything that would lead to an interesting and rewarding career (leaning toward the technical side).

I am in the greater New York area (Long Island) so I am at the heart of finance. I had worked for a small brokerage on Wall Street (where I got my 7) after not finding a salaried position after a few months of searching. I have to say I did not like the work at all. It had zero job satisfaction and the pay was far too unstable. I was not helping anything get done, just taking peoples money. They should have all gone to IB and bought indexes with their money.

I have literally sent out thousands of resumes. About 5 a day for over 2 years (I was searching well before I graduated). When ever I have walked in anywhere, they just turn you around and say go to the website. In follow up calls, they just asked if you went to the website to check your application status. The only people who respond are commission based positions (almost all scams) and staffing agencies (I am registered at about a dozen).

I was actually in the Military (Air Force) in the past. I was lucky enough to go to school and get a degree so I could be a civilian free to use my brain rather then a mindless cog (so I thought).

I have many hobbies, and I have tried to turn any and all of them into careers/part time income. None have worked. Not even web design/programming (which I am fairly advanced at even though it is not my degree). I have applied to it/programming/QA jobs as well to no avail.

I did not even get replies to 8$ an hour phone tech support jobs I applied too.

I had worked as an electronics rep (doing very well for myself) part time through college. I had a wide district and many contacts. I had even been scouted by 2 competing firms to work higher up the food chain. Both fell through when the companies lost their contracts, and my firm had the same problem soon thereafter.

I applied to grad school, and was rejected. I was told applications are up about 30%, and that over 75% of the spots are going to foreigners, the US citizens getting in are almost all the same Harvard/Yale/etc taking the jobs, or ones with 5+ years of work experience at big firms.

I have been trading since before I graduated. I have a great knowledge of the markets. Yet I have not been able to be profitable enough to make it pay the bills. I like it allot, but it just hasn’t worked for me.

I truly enjoy macro, I have dozens of books and spend countless hours researching on the internet. I have some great theories I have developed. Yet I have not been able to do anything with them. I was hoping grad school/automated trading would make something from them, but it apparently isn’t in the cards.

I have been thinking about going back to school as an undergrad, maybe electrical engineering or something like that? Another 3-4 years before working full time is going to be really hard for me, but I don't seem to have much of a choice in the matter anymore.

My big regret is busting my ass playing catch-up (from time in the military) working through summer and winter sessions and loading up on credits every semester instead of getting an internship. If I had a foot in the door somewhere I know I would have wowed them.

As far as Government jobs I am on usajobs.com every day. I apply to anything local and anything not local paying enough to be worth the move.

I was originally hoping to get 55k+, now I would be happy with 45k (remember I am in NY rent/bills are expensive) and have been applying to jobs down to 28k.

I am 25, so I need to start a career, not just have income. I would like to stay in the markets, but anything where I can use my brain that has job satisfaction and contributes to society I would gladly do.

Again, that you for the overwhelming response and support. I appreciate any and all replies

#58     Sep 9, 2009
  8. bevo96

bevo96

+1 . Fantastic Advice.

#59     Sep 9, 2009
  9. aegis

aegis

What grad school?

Sorry, but I think you're full of shit. Stony Brook is a Tier 1 school. If you really graduated with a 3.7 GPA, you shouldn't have a problem getting into a decent grad school. You must have applied to an Ivy grad school to have been rejected. I suggest you look into other good schools. There are several out there.

#60     Sep 9, 2009