Why don't Americans save?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, Dec 28, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

That's convoluted!

How about save your money, build up some capital and learn to invest.

Then you can spend the earnings on your capital over and over again... not to mention the capital necessary to sustain your life when you no longer have an income from employment.

#21     Dec 28, 2008
  2. then getting a $200 speeding ticket,
    ------------------------------

I hope you had a lawyer, this won't save you any money but a lawyer will get that ticket off your licsense.

Fwiw, I think the fines are a rip off.

#22     Dec 28, 2008
  3. I have savings but I view any dollars I have as a wasting asset and I am always on the lookout for hard assets to convert my savings
    -----------------------

The hard asset is yourself. Invest in yourself. Engage in a hobby that can earn some extra income or add to your education. Income trumps inflation.

#23     Dec 28, 2008
  4. Another issue with the data is that Americans save differently than Asians. Asians put their cash in the bank which is debased by deflation. Americans put their money in real estate which historically keeps pace with inflation. The current real estate bust is merely an anomaly in the overall scheme of things.

#24     Dec 28, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

That's what "they" tell us. We don't need savings because we have RE and stocks...

How's that working out for everybody?

Problem on the RE end.... too many paid too much and leveraged to high without proper assets to support their risk exposure.

On the stocks end, they told us "buy and hold"... with no concept of basic timing.

By the time this mess is cleaned up, likely 2 or 3 generations of Americans will never invest in RE or stocks again...

#25     Dec 28, 2008
  6. many people in america are taxed at over 50% . get into a high tax bracket and live in a high tax state and don't forget SS and Medicare for your first 105k of earings, there you go 50%

You cant take every stat at take it literal. for example i remember hearing that personal debt went down for the first time this quarter for the first time ever. sounds good on paper until you realise that it was because peoples houses where forclosed on and others had there credit limit lowered or went bankrupt.

Americans do save, not as much as europe. when people take into consideration 401ks which is not included in the personal savings rate.

#26     Dec 28, 2008
  7. Stosh

Stosh

Let's say the neighbor's kid wanted to do some work for me around my house:
    1. Don't I need to make sure I will be in compliance with child labor laws and minimum wage laws?
    2. Don't I need to execute the proper forms for withholding of income tax, social security, worker's compensation insurance and also pay my portion of such?
    3. Don't I need to make sure I provide all eye protection, hearing protection, inhalation protection, proper protective footwear, etc. for the job at hand? and that all tools and equipment that he might use be in excellent working order?
    4. Don't I need to make sure that the kid has had the proper training in safety for the job at hand?
    5. Don't I need to have the proper drinking water, salt tablets, first aid equipment, and rest room provisions?
    6. Isn't there a good chance I will be sued if the kid is seriously hurt no matter what the reason?

#27     Dec 28, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Do you do all of those things to have a service mow your lawn or pick up your dog's poop?

#28     Dec 28, 2008
  9. Here is the real data to read in between the lines.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/current/z1.pdf

Notice the mortgage debt blowup starting 1998 running all through this decade. About 4.6T above mean (of 200B/yr increase in personal mortgage debt)... That means this bailout and all total money lent, once circulating should be pretty effective at plugging the hole.

#29     Dec 28, 2008
  10. lol and right on.

In addition you should have the kid take a drug test.

Is he/she an american citizen.

If he/she person who "english is a second language" (ESL) then you should provide instruction thru an interpreter.

#30     Dec 29, 2008