Why dual head videocard does not support 2 monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qll, Nov 5, 2007.

1. qll

qll

I have a dell desktop Demension 8300 with NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with APG8X. This card has 2 heads, one is vga and the other is degital.

I go into set up, but I don't see the option to Extend from the first monitor to the second monitor.

Is the card problem, or I have a wrong driver?

2. gnome

gnome

That card should run dual monitors. (Some cards have both DVI and VGA ports to accommodate EITHER type, though not capable of running 2 monitors.)

Try the most current driver. If still no dual display, perhaps one of the ports is bad or it can't display 2 montors in spite of having 2 ports.

3. amiindew

amiindew

go to Start > control panel > Display > settings > extend my windows desktop onto this monitor

4. qll

qll

how do i know if i get the LASTEST driver?
    should older drivers at least show the option for dual heads?
    mine setup does not even have this option.

5. gnome

gnome

Check the Nvidia website. It will list a current Universal Driver for your card. If it's different than the one you're running, uninstall the old and install the new.

If it still doesn't show the dual icons in Display/Settings, either it never was capable of dual monitor or one port is bad. There would not be a case where an older driver allowed dual display while a new one did not.

Is this the first time you've tried to initiate dual display on this card?

6. Why can't you spell?

It's Dimension 8300... and that thing must be at least 3-4 years old.

You do not provide enough information for anyone to help you.

7. nkhoi

nkhoi

" nView Display Technology
    The nView hardware and software technology combination delivers maximum flexibility for multi-display options, and provides unprecedented end-user control of the desktop experience. nView allows end-users to select any combination of multiple displays, including digital flat panels, analog CRTs, and TVs, and to modify the display properties using an intuitive software interface.
    AGP 8X
    Provides double the bandwidth of AGP 4X—2.1GB/sec. vs. 1.1GB/sec. AGP 8X enables more complex models and detailed textures, creating richer and more lifelike environments. Uninterrupted data flow allows for smoother video streaming and faster, more seamless gameplay. "

either you didn't select the right interface or you need the correct driver

"